Gibson Brands Forums

sheraton vs Lucille

Hey MaxHeart!

Well ... to begin with, I own an Epiphone Lucille. I fell in love with the tone and playability of this guitar ... and, I'll admit, the looks too. There are a few differences between the guitars:

- Lucille has a six position vari-tone switch which allows you some additional voiceings from the guitar. The Sheri does not have this feature. Admittedly, I stay in position one or two 95% of the time, but the additional voices are interesting and may be of more use to you.

- Lucille has a TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece which really allows you to fine tune the guitar. The Sheri has the standard stopbar and TOM.

- Lucille has stereo outputs ... never used 'em. The Sheri is the standard mono output.

- Biggest difference: Lucille, while hollow, has no f holes. This let's it cut way back on the feedback you would expect from a semi-hollow body guitar played at high volumes. The Sheri has the f holes, so this essential difference could make your decision for you based on how you feel this effects the tone of the guitar.

Playing-wise, I find them to be very similar. Both are about the same body type and size, both are nice and narrow at the nut (1.68") and fret wonderfully. The Sheri comes in a few color choices as well. I am personally GASing big time for a Sheri in natural, but I haven't bitten the bullet yet simply because, IMHO, the two guitars are so similar.

Anyway, you got to play 'em, bubba! Your ears and fingers will always tell you the truth. Hope this helped a little. Have fun making your decision ... and, as always, POST PICS!

MIDI

Vielen Dank, Kumpel! :-

Here in the US, the two guitars are priced exactly the same, so that's not even an issue! They are both exceptional guitars ... its impossible to wrong when you have this sort of choice!

MIDI

Yeah, pretty much the same "vibe!" "Lucille" has no "f" holes, so it resists "feedback" a bit more.

But, if you don't need the tonal variances, that the "vari-tone" and stereo wiring allows, the Sheraton

should be just fine! I'm not knocking the Lucille, at all...I own a Gibson version. But, aside from the

Vari-tone options, it's pretty much in the same ball-park tone as my Sheraton. My Sheri has a bit

"edgier" tone, because of it's "mini-humbuckers," but otherwise, they're very close.

CB

Archived