Gibson Brands Forums

Push/pull pots: What is the best equipment?

Figstrum

Im thinking about making my bridge HB a push/pull knob to make it a single / HB combo for added sound. Is the sound that it creates worth making the mod? If it is, what is the best gear to get for this mod?

The pups that I will be using for this mod are going to be the SD Sh2-neck and Sh4 JB-Bridge. I am sure there is somebody outhere with this gear already. Any opinions or suggestions?

:-k :-k :-k

I've got the complete jimmy page mod on my Les Paul. It is completely and totally worth making the mod. All that's necessary for this is a push/pull pot and a 4-conductor 'bucker. Fortunately for you, SD makes their HBs 4-conductor, so you're golden. Get the wiring diagram from their site and you're golden.

I've got the complete jimmy page mod on my Les Paul. It is completely and totally worth making the mod. All that's necessary for this is a push/pull pot and a 4-conductor 'bucker. Fortunately for you' date=' SD makes their HBs 4-conductor, so you're golden. Get the wiring diagram from their site and you're golden.[/quote']

I have heard of the JP mod, but I am not sure what it really entails. What is the JP mod? Im just thinking about making the bridge a push/pull pot. Would that be a good modification?

I am currently working on a set of Pearly Gates which are four conductor pups needed for coil tapping. Very soon I will be ordering push/pull pots from RS Guitarworks. The pots and caps are pretty expensive compared to other options but I'm completely sold on RS Guitarworks. In anothr month or so I should have the Page wiring complete. Only other thing I want to do is replace the Ivory nut for an earvana nut.

Thank you for the post, I appreciate it. But, I have to say I dont really know how the knobs work on the JP mod. I an thinking about just making either the neck or the bridge a push pull. Which of the two would be the best one to mod?

I am currently working on a set of Pearly Gates which are four conductor pups needed for coil tapping. Very soon I will be ordering push/pull pots from RS Guitarworks. The pots and caps are pretty expensive compared to other options but I'm completely sold on RS Guitarworks. In anothr month or so I should have the Page wiring complete. Only other thing I want to do is replace the Ivory nut for an earvana nut.

That should sound prette good. I am just still confused how the split works. Like I told kevin Im just going to venture with either the neck or the bridge. Not sure which one for now.

Happy new pick ups day to me..... I just received my SD sh2 and sh4 JB set that I will have installed soon.

On Page's Black Beauty Signature model he has only one push pull and its for coil tapping the bridge pup. If you go to the SD website they have a drop down menu that will get you almost every mod for pups. If you can't find what you are looking for a call to SD or message on their forum would most likely get you a quick answer..

Im thinking about making my bridge HB a push/pull knob to make it a single / HB combo for added sound. Is the sound that it creates worth making the mod? If it is' date=' what is the best gear to get for this mod?

The pups that I will be using for this mod are going to be the SD Sh2-neck and Sh4 JB-Bridge. I am sure there is somebody outhere with this gear already. Any opinions or suggestions?

:-k :-k :-k [/quote']

To answer your question(s). Yes it is worth it to me. I'm all about versitility. I think in one of your later posts you asked about doing this with bridge or neck pup. Only you can answer that.

Which pick up do you use the most now?

Would you like that pup to have a single coil sound to add to your playing?

Which pup do use the least?

Would adding the single coil option cause you to use that pup more?

I too have the Jimmy Page wiring on my Les Paul, but it is pretty hard for a first mod; there are a lot of little wires to solder between the pots and it could get frustrating. I think you should stick to your original plan of just cutting one coil and see how you like it. You can always add other mods later and you've already bought one push/pull pot.

As for equipment/parts - I ordered my push/pulls from StewMac. However, I did also change capacitors and all they offer are ceramic caps. If you want to change caps then it may be beneficial to buy all the parts from the same place to keep your shipping charges down.

Let us know what you did and how it sounds.

Dude, you're already going to be in there, just get 2 push pull pots and do both pickups. That's how I wired my custom (in my avatar) and the added versatility was great. Most people use the tone controls for the push pull, but I used the volume instead, so I didn't have to fuss with the caps for the tone controls, plus it made the push pull switches closer to my hand while playing. It's a very easy mod to do, and WELL worth the effort. I had the same pickups that you have, and in single coil mode, I was able to get a pretty strat-like tone.

Thank you generation and djr for your posts. I am very inclined at this point to go ahead and have this mod done to my Epi. I like the bride the most, as it has more punch. I think I might stick to the bridge. Thanks for all the suggestions.

You can also have it wired so that one push-pull pot converts both pickups to single coil, just as another thought. From experience with mine though, you'll get more mileage from the bridge pickup if you are set on only doing one. I still recommend separate switches for both... Especially since you have two pickups capable of being tapped... The added cost is minimal, and it's always nice to have more options, even if you rarely ever use one. Just my 2 cents...

I have already asked this before but...

do you guys know if when i put the push/pull pot for master tone on my Lp, If each position (push or pull) could have a different capacitor so that i could have a wider range of tone?

for the caps, i was thinking .022microF and .010microF.

GN,

Im still working on getting the kinks outta the plans we had about the re-wire of my black beauty.:(/

Archived