Gibson Brands Forums

61 SG Reissue's

vourot

I'm mostly an acoustic man, ( bought an AJ in January ). Funny thing is the more I play my AJ, the more I want to plug in. I have always loved SG's and now I'm keeping my eye open for a nice 61 SG. Actually it doesn't really have to be a 61 reissue but I really like the look of the small pickguard. They worth the extra cost? There is a nice white one that's been sitting in the local shop for a few months now. I think the price was about 1800 hundred or so ( canadian ). I know standards are less expensive but those big pick guards just don't do it for me..... Anyway, if any of you fine SG owners care to offer any opinions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

How much does a thin neck profile mean to you?

Being an acoustic player, you may be fine with the 50's or rounded neck.

The 61 has the 60 Slim Taper, I would say that is the greatest playability issue.

Owning multiple SG's has made the 61 my favorite - hands down. The 57 Classics are the best!

Yes, they are worth a little more money. Judging by the sales volume I'd say many agree.

Side note:

It is my understanding that ALL 61's have a single piece body. Does it really matter? I dunno.

If the one you're looking at is white, you can't tell anyway...

61 may cost a little more up front, but will always be worth a little more down the road.

They are ALWAYS sought after by beginners and pro's alike, find a nice one at a good price and you'll be happy.

Thank you for the responses, its always a treat to hear from knowledgeable people. Neoconman , great little summary there. I had read the specs before but its always better to get the goods from someone who has the guitar. True, I'll need to try it and see how it feels. I believe there will be an SG in my future I'll just have to take my time ( 5 mins ). BTW are the 2008 61's only coming in heritage cherry? Besides the white one at the shop I have seen black and blue models on the net. Thanks again, this forum is great.

The only negative thing I really can say about the 61 reissue is the way the neck joint is constructed to the guitar body.I just feel its little too weak.I like the standard.I am however contemplating ,swapping the 498t bridge pickup in my standard to the 57 classic.I don't think the 498t is poor or bad sounding,just may favor the tone of the 57 classic to it,still undecided

61 reissue is the way the neck joint is constructed to the guitar body.

I just feel its little too weak.

STOP PULLING ON IT!!!

Damn!

:-)

I don't find it any less stable than my 335.

It's a tiny joint for sure, but I think much more care is taken with construction nowadays considering the price.

Still, it's NOT a Les Paul...

Archived