Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Jr. Half Stack--crackling noise

My Epi Valve Jr. Half Stack makes a crackling sound when I'm playing my Epi Les Paul 56 Gold Top, especially the low E and A strings. When I switch to my humbucker-equipped guitar, the sound goes away. So I'm guessing the problem has something to do with my Epi guitar, which has P90s.

Any ideas what the problem is? The solution?

switch wiring.

bad contact would be my first guess.

remove switch cover.. take needle nose pliers and bend the two contact strips in gently so they have more pressure on the contact points.

don't use muscle.. it just takes a little..

leave cover off.. test..

switch should be very quiet when switching and if that's it.. no more crackling.

TWANG

I didn't get anything from that description that would point to a faulty switch specifically, but I suppose it could be that. I'd probably look first at the jack, although it really could be the switch, the jack, or a bad ground connection, I suppose. Assuming that you've gotten the same results on all switch positions, that is. If you're only getting this noise with one switch position, it's obviously either the switch or the pickup wiring for that switch position.

I didn't get anything from that description that would point to a faulty switch specifically' date=' but I suppose it could be that. I'd probably look first at the jack, although it really could be the switch, the jack, or a bad ground connection, I suppose. Assuming that you've gotten the same results on all switch positions, that is. If you're only getting this noise with one switch position, it's obviously either the switch or the pickup wiring for that switch position. [/quote'] Nevermind ....... I was gonna mention possibly a bad cable, but he mentioned switching guitars and I'll assume using the same cable..... so, ummmm - nevermind !!!#-o

But I'm not sure what m-theory means by bad ground connection. I'm guessing you're referring to the amp?

If it's only happening with one of your guitars, it's obviously something with that one guitar. My first guess would be the jack, but if not that, it could be that switch, or, if it only happens in one pup position, either the switch or that particular pup. Or, it could be a sketchy ground connection in the guitar.

Turns out the crackling only happens with the neck pickup. Do I need to pull the pickup and check wiring? If so' date=' what am I checking for?[/quote']

Go get a can of contact cleaner and spray the switch....then move it back and forth 20 or 30 times! If it's still there gently bend the switch contacts tighter and that should solve the problem

Archived