Gibson Brands Forums

bridge rattle in wildkat

Gashole

What is the likely cause of spontaneous bridge rattle in a Wildkat? It's definitely coming from that area-not the frets, and not the pickups. In fact, the note rings out just fine, but there is suddenly a coarse rattle coming from what seems to be the bridge. Nothing seems to be wrong by looking at it either. There is one thing though. It might be my imagination-but I never noticed the bridge posts moving so much when the Bigsby was pushed. Seems to be more play in it now, but I'm really not sure, I could be just paranoid. The saddles look fine, but it really seems to be coming from them? I'd appreciate any insight from the tech gurus! Thanks.

I have a slight buzz from that area too, but I just tend to strum a little harder, and then I can't hear it anymore.

There was a member here that had an older post saying that his wiring harness was BARELY touching the bottom of the guitar's top. He kinda poked and shoved the wiring harness, and next thing he knew it was gone.

Haven't had time to investigate mine other than touching the hardware, and so far no cause found....

Assuming you bridge has one... Sometimes the little retainer wire above the saddle-screws looses it's tension and starts to ratlle. Remove it' date=' superglue it, or bend it back in shape.[/quote']

That was my first thought actually-but there is no wire. Would have been a nice easy fix!

Could be one of the saddle screws. I find they can become loose sometimes....

Thats my thought...always knew I had a loose screw...maybe on the guitar too. LOL When I get home from work the bridge screws will get some close scrutiny. I hope I can resolve it myself and quickly. Have big plans for recording the Kat this weekend.

I have a slight buzz from that area too' date=' but I just tend to strum a little harder, and then I can't hear it anymore.

There was a member here that had an older post saying that his wiring harness was BARELY touching the bottom of the guitar's top. He kinda poked and shoved the wiring harness, and next thing he knew it was gone.

Haven't had time to investigate mine other than touching the hardware, and so far no cause found....[/quote']

You know-it's very similar to that. If I either strum very soft or very hard it won't occur. Way too much to fight against to try and seriously play though-although as I mentioned, the notes all ring true and sustain fine.

My Sheraton II (non Bigsby) has the much talked about bridge rattle (g-string), the bridge is one of the newer

ones that "lock" onto the posts via spring steel tabs.

It doesn't show up through the amp, so i'm not gonna troubleshoot it until I change strings (probably tomorrow).

I'll post the reason for the rattle, and the remedy then.

My Tele that IS Bigsby'd has the "floating roller" bridge that came in the Bigsby kit.

The bridge & bridgeplate will move as much as 1/8" inside the post holes.

It's never rattled even once, and the intonation stays true, I guess by a miracle.

My Sheraton II (non Bigsby) has the much talked about bridge rattle (g-string)' date=' the bridge is one of the newer

ones that "lock" onto the posts via spring steel tabs.

It doesn't show up through the amp, so i'm not gonna troubleshoot it until I change strings (probably tomorrow).

I'll post the reason for the rattle, and the remedy then.

My Tele that IS Bigsby'd has the "floating roller" bridge that came in the Bigsby kit.

The bridge & bridgeplate will move as much as 1/8" inside the post holes.

It's never rattled even once, and the intonation stays true, I guess by a miracle.

[/quote']

The bigsby motion is about the same for me...good-that's normal then. Phew! Thought I might have wanged a little too hard at some point and broke it! (8-[ )

This happened at a string change-was fine before. Busted a fresh .10 and was replacing it. It didn't break at the bridge-was between the nut and tuning post.

I look forward to reading your results!

Archived