Gibson Brands Forums

Finally got my new guitar SG Prophecy GX

FoxRacing1653

Gold is very soft. Not a good choice for fret wire.

well its not true solid gold its what ive heard a copper/somethign alloy

heres a testimonial from a dealer

"""Testimonials: Here’s what customer Warren Weldon had to say about our gold wire:

“Hey folks' date=' I just wanted to drop you a line about the gold fret wire FWG74 that I ordered for a custom instrument I just delivered to Matthew ”Slide” Dewien. I decided to do some testing on this wire since Matt had mentioned he would be interested in having gold frets to match the [gold'] tuners I was putting on his new 000. After a little testing , fretting and re-fretting and a little NDT [non-destructive testing] with several hardnesses of striking metals I decided to use it. I have to say it is like having the best of both worlds! I hammer my frets in the old world way and I love the way this wire feels under the hammer. It also wears better and polishes oh so nice. Looks was not enough to sway me, even the builder friendly feel was still not enough but when it got to the solid, silky smooth playability I was sold. I plan to stock up just in case it becomes too popular!!”

Bruce Petros of Petros Guitars is impressed with our wire and had this to say: “Thanks for bringing these gold frets to the market. They are gorgeous. They really add an elegant touch to a guitar, not to mention the added benefit of better wear properties. I’m sure anyone would want to get more mileage out of their frets.” """

If working with stainless seems a little daunting, check out our new Evo gold fretwire. It is a copper alloy that has been used for years in the optical industry. It contains no nickel and therefore meets the”nickel free” European standard. It stands the test of time and can really dress up your guitar. With a Vicker’s hardness of HV5/250, it is harder than our nickel/silver wire (HV5/200), but softer than the stainless (HV5/300). This wire is not plated; it is gold all the way through and retains the gold color once the frets are dressed.

well its not true solid gold its what ive heard a copper/somethign alloy

heres a testimonial from a dealer

It they can make a copper alloy that won't turn your fingers and fretboard green, that would be great. Making something "gold-looking" seems to be a hard one to pull off.

For "Gold" fretwire, go to www.warmoth.com

Move pointer to "supplies" at top of page, click fretwire on

drop-down menu, "Gold" fretwire is #61GD.

Quote from site:

"Gold colored fret wire is a tough copper alloy without Nickel and the color is similar to 12k Gold in appearance. This is not the same brass color as the Warwick wire. This is not just a "plating". It is solid throughout. Very classy looking wire."

Measuring .090" x .055" Narrow and quite tall.

Cost: $25.00 for ???? inches/feet. Doesn't say. THEN you have the added

expense of an experienced luthier to do the re-fret.

Here I am ... late to the party ... again!

Congratulations, Fox ... she's a real beauty! I have both the SG and the LP Prophecy GX and i think they are remarkable guitars. I love the Dirty Fingers pup's. They can growl with the best of them and yet produce an amazing clean tone as well. Very versatile ... and man, are they loud! I think another outstanding feature of the entire Prophecy line are those necks! They are just wonderful for players that like a slim neck on a guitar. I'm also a big fan of ebony fretboards!

I was impressed with George Washington image in your flame ... all I got with mine was Millard Filmore, but he admitted California as a State so I don't feel so badly. I guess all the "presidential" references have to do with the number of "Benjamins" these guitars are costing us!

Speaking of gold ... someone here on the forum actually added gold pup covers to the Dirty Fingers ... it looked petty darn HOT! Again ... congrats and enjoy your new guitar!

Jim

Well after playing it for awhile now all i can say is this is my new favorite guitar. I love the thin neck on it and the satin finish on the neck definitely helps with sliding up and down the neck and not getting your thumb or palm sticking. Only thing i didnt like when i first got it was the neck almost looked like a dried out ebony almost like turning gray but all it needed was a quick clean and oiling with my system 65 maintenance kit and it looks amazing now! The pups on these are great they give off a nice deep crunch when you need it but also can brighten up with the right coil tap and pickup selection. I am overall very satisfied with this guitar

Guest icantbuyafender
i think once my wallet fills back up ill invest in having gold fret wire installed.

that would be confectioner's sugar on the icing of the cake.

she's a hottie

Here I am ... late to the party ... again!

Its all right there MIDI we know that you were either:

a/ Down in the basement adding "character" to yours ( an extra scratch or two..)

OR

b/ That one guitar' date=' felt good in his hands

Didnt take long, to understand

Just one guitar, slung way down low

Was one way ticket, only one way to go :-k[-X [/i']

Jukebox Hero - Foreigner

O:)

Archived