Gibson Brands Forums

New Forum member

clontsy

Greetings! I am a proud owner of a Martin D41 and Martin 00015. However, because I am not computor savy, I have not been able to get into the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum and talk Martin Guitar stuff. The good news, however, is that I also own a Masterbilt DR500P...which I love.

Today I was working @ an Ambulance company were I am a Paramedic, and a fellow EMT strummed a few chords on my Masterbilt. He liked its action, volume, and clarity of tone. I showed him the quality of its construction and beauty of its design - he was impressed.

So far, I've really enjoyed this guitar. I purchased it on line through Same Day Music last year and have not looked back.

The only issue I had, however, is that the nut came loose. But instead of taking it to a luthier, I glued it back on with titebond, and I am now back in business. I also filed down the saddle a wee bit, and the action is slightly lower.

One question tho', are these Masterbilts glued together with hide glue? I think they are, but want some verification.

Also, another thing I like is that the fret board @ 1.68 width is a bit wider than the 1.11/16 that I have on my Martins - nice width.

My thought is this - if Alex Lifeson owns a Masterbilt, they must be a pretty darn good guitar! (Gretchen Wilson owning one doesn't impress me, however!)

I'm outa here!

--Clontsy

One question tho'' date=' are these Masterbilts glued together with hide glue? I think they are, but want some verification.[/quote']

Hey and Welcome!

I'm pretty sure Epiphone doesn't use hide glue. Martin stopped in 1963 or 1964, and Gibson only uses it on special and very expensive editions of certain models. From what I've read, hide glue is extremely difficult to work with, and the pieces being bonded with it have to be an almost perfect fit. If you want to know for sure, ask Epiphone's Customer Service.

I'm sure hide glue is great and all, but I doubt seriously that most people would hear a difference. Modern glues seem to be just fine...

Welcome Clontsy!!!!

If you don't mind, I'm gonna move this to a forum with the most traffic so you get some more responses. Then we will move it back to the Lounge at some point during the week.

make yourself at home.

Clontsy...welcome. I'm gassing for an EF-500CCE Masterbilt, myself. But I love Martin guitars, too.

Played a 000-28EC, recently. "Wow!" But, the price of that one, is beyond me, at this point.

So, stick around, there's lots of good information, and good folks, as well as a few "characters," now

and then. It's a fun forum!

CB

hi..and welcome clontsy..nearly bought a martin ooo cant rember the rest i was gasing for the masterbuilt as well i coulnt get to play any of them at a music store locally..so i ended up buying a simon@patrick guitar man this one of the loudest guitars ive ever played..

Archived