Gibson Brands Forums

Happy New Amp Day!!!!!!

Man, Craigslist is dangerous. Plus the fact that I live between Nashville and Atlanta and I scour the boards regularly.

I got an Epi Blues Custom 30, 3 months old, with the tags still on it...for 400 obo. I got it for $375. I think I scored pretty big. I've been blasting it for the last hour, while the wife and her mom were out puttering around shopping. I think my daughter was hiding upstairs from the noise I was making, but I have a big stupid grin on my face!

What a tone monster! I love it!

I like my Valve Standard a lot too, and all I have done to it is change the speaker. I have a buddy who is gifted with electronics who was going to do the board surgery for me and the DSP bypass..but now I think it might go on Craigslist to offset the cost of the BC30.

I asked the guy I bought it from if he was a pro, because his house was full of nice gear, and he says no. I just buy a lotta gear. Must be nice! I am just glad he decided to part with this!

Congrat's on the new amp. I know you'll dig it cuz I love mine. Replacing the stock power tubes should be on the top of your list of things to do. Sound improves a great deal as it breaks in so the best is yet to come #-o

I put a Celestion G12H-30 Anniversary in it. I got it new off of Ebay in the box for $75 bucks. The guy I bought the Valve Standard from had changed the tubes already and I have not modified the board at all yet. I bought a Heyboer Output transformer per Gil's suggestion, and it is still in the box, because my buddy that is the electronics wiz has been having a rough time at school and home so I haven't bothered him. Basically it is a stock Valve Standard with the Celestion and swapped tubes. Gil suggested a G12H-30 so I found that deal and jumped on it, but it turned out that he was talking about the higher end one that is made in England with the 55hz frequency range. That one gets raves apparently. The Anniversary has a 75 hz frequency range so not quite as deep a bass response as the higher end speaker, but I think it way outperforms the Eminence, the bass is better, not as farty. I think it cleaned up the overall tone just by being a higher quality speaker. I am debating whether to sell it or keep it and keep going with mods, because I think it sounds great now. I understand that it can sound like a Matchless with a few cap and resistor changes and the DSP bypass, but that is better left to someone with a steadier hand with a soldering iron.

I don't need both the BC30 and the Valve Standard, as my wife has pointed out, because I am no pro guitar slinger, or even going out to play with other people very often. I think it was a totally justifiable purchase just on the deal alone. I make no apologies to her about it.

Chefman, how about dropping that Celestion into the BC30 and letting us know if there's an improvement in the sound.

The boss ain't here today so I broke out the Les Paul and cranked the BC30...WOW! She don't mind me playing at reasonable volumes, she just doesn't like it loud. Even at 15 watts it gets real loud! With the LP I really didn't have any complaints about the brightness...quite the opposite. The low end was "sloppy", uncontrolled sounding (farty?). I like low end that's more controlled...tighter sounding.

I'm now kind of rethinking some of the mods. Before I start clipping caps I'm thinking of maybe retubing and perhaps changing speakers first before performing elective surgery on the pc board. Then again, the strat is real bright sounding so surgery may still be necessary. Still, I'd like to do the tubes and speaker changes first.

Thats the way I went with my Standard and it improved immensely. I have no doubt that swapping the Lady Lucks for Celestions will tighten that up, in fact I found another Anniversary G12H-30 on Clist in Nashville for less than $100. May put two Celestions in the BC 30 and do the tubes too myself. Then I could put the Eminence back in the Standard, and build a cab for the other to Lady Lucks....hmmmm. That will have to wait for another payday, unless somebody buys some of the restaurant equipment or stuff I have for sale on Craigslist. Trying to be smart and not finance anything in this economy and trade or pay cash, because I really do have enough gear for a guy who is just a bedroom rocker trying to get better. It is nice to have good stuff though, especially when you get a great deal.

Archived