Gibson Brands Forums

Locking Tuners

timandbob

I need some help understanding about locking tuners. First off, I have a Dot Deluxe VS, with the gold hardware. I already have Grover tuners on it. How can I tell if they are locking tuners? I am assuming they are NOT locking, because of the price of the guitar, but I just want to make sure.

Next, when I do string bends, strings sometimes go out of tune. Will the locking tuners help keep the strings in tune better? Or is there something else I can/should do to keep the strings in tune after bends.

Third, if I decide to get the locking tuners, are these the right ones?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I am a long time player, but I am a new electric player learning about playing my Dot. Thanks.

Hi, Yes locking tuners will help. But you might not need any at all, there are a few simple things you can do to help it stay in tune. Often the strings will go out of tune, if the nut and the bridge snag the string and don't allow free movement, i used to make sure that the nut was lubricated with pencil lead which is an excellent dry lubricant. you should also make sure that the saddles on the bridge are smooth and do not rough or have sharp edges.

onother thing, what sort of bridge does your guitar have? does it have a tremolo arm?

other thing' date=' what sort of bridge does your guitar have? does it have a tremolo arm?[/quote']First thanks for the hints on the pencil lead. I knew that but I keep forgetting to use it. I have a roller/fixed tunomatic bridge, no tremelo.

Tremolo bridges are notorious for tuning problems. lol

It sounds like locking tuners would really help you out. I used to use Sperzel locking tuners on one of my guitars, they were very effective. There are loads of different companies making them, but i don't know how they all compare to one another. perhaps some of of the other guys will tell us about which ones they use and why.

Those tuners should go right in, no problem.

I found on the six in line models that the screw hole on the back was a little farther out.. but it covered the old hole, and I'm don't believe the three per side tuners don't match.

If you have a roller bridge and tuning probs after bends, it's usually at the peg or the nut.

too many windings or strings not stretched out enough when new, can cause more stretching while playing.

so string well to start with.

pencil lead in the nut slots will help.

so will reducing the amount of nut. .that is the wound strings needn't be buried in the slots.. just a little over half the string should be in the slot.

enough to keep it from popping out.. not enough for there to be much grip or tightness at the sides.

you can just pull the string out of the slot and file a bit off the top.. and it can make the difference as to ease of string travel when bending.

locking tuners don't always have the rear knob.. the new grovers do.

the old model locking tuners have a longer peg shaft, so you can tell them from regular easily, too.

TWANG

Archived