Gibson Brands Forums

How thick is the maple cap on the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Guitar?

F4dphantomII

I'm pretty sure it's just a veneer, over a mahogany body. I have yet to see proof of an actual maple "cap" on the epis... If that is the case, the answer would be somewhere around 1/16". If there is in fact a true maple cap under the veneer, it should be somewhere between 5/8" and 3/4".

Only a tablesaw can tell you for sure... If you decide to find out, please post pics! LOL!

I've modded 2 Epis and the "maple" was about 1/8". A Plus top may have a paper-thin veneer too. Real Gibsons have about 3/4" at the high point.

This has been discussed many times on here and seems to vary quite considerably across the output from Epi

Mine is 'Mahogany' (in actual fact Nato) body, 3/8" genuine maple cap and 1/16" flame maple veneer on the top and 1/16" honduran mahogany veneer on the rear. This was told me by Gibson when I queried the construction and subsequently confirmed by the luthier who fixed a couple of small problems with it. Not sure why they used Honduran mahogany for the rear veneer as it adds nothing to the guitar over any other mahogany veneer. Possibly they had some boards which weren't good enough for Gibby bodies but could be used to make veneer sheets.

It seems to vary thickness slightly depending on where you eyeball it. On my MIK Epi LP Custom, it

appears to be about 3/8" of an inch at the neck p_up. The highest arched profile is at the bridge and

stop piece, so it has to be somewheres around 1/2 to 5/8" of an inch, I would expect.

03_26_3.jpg

Archived