Gibson Brands Forums

New member looking for opinions on the 56' Goldtop

happyfeet

I'm 49 years old and just started to play a couple of months ago. I am looking to buy an electric and want some opinions on the Epiphone studio model and the 56 Goldtop. Thanks in advance... HF

I love the 56 GT. I had one for a number of years until I sold it a couple weeks ago. This was only because I'd bought a more expensive guitar with P90s (P94s actually) and didn't need two. I think it's a great guitar, and a guy your age will probably appreciate it's vibe more than someone younger (I say this as a fellow 49 year old). I don't think you'll be disappointed if you find one that's set up properly.

And by the way, the guy I sold it to was a player of 30 years who used to have a Gibson Goldtop with P90s many years before, is an active gigger, and wanted one of these Epis specifically for gigging because he missed his old Gibson.

Cheers

I have a goldtop thats in layaway and when I played it in the store, I loved it. So I had to have it but its taking forever to get it out of layaway. I had posted a thread yesterday about maybe buying a fender squire tele and an epi SG400 instead of the goldtop. Some people said buy the sg and tele if together they cost almost as much as the goldtop. Some said to get the goldtop. All 3 of these guitars are on my want list but I am going to stick with the goldtop. The P90 pickups sound great and the guitar plays so nice. By the way, the goldtops have been discontinued so if you do find one, I would get it while you can.

I made a buying decision yesterday and a G-400 is sitting in my lap right now... My wife likes the worn brown look (its her money too:)) I saved a few coins for my first electric purchase and I like the neck and action. I played the LP standard plus in blue while at the shop and really liked that baby!!! , but $$ was a consideration. So I will work on my skills for now with the G....

Best regards, HF

Guest icantbuyafender
I made a buying decision yesterday and a G-400 is sitting in my lap right now... My wife likes the worn brown look (its her money too:)) I saved a few coins for my first electric purchase and I like the neck and action. I played the LP standard plus in blue while at the shop and really liked that baby!!! ' date=' but $$ was a consideration. So I will work on my skills for now with the G....

Best regards, HF [/quote']

The worn brown G400? :-k

in my honest opinion sir, that is an excellent choice. :-

its got the "tried and true" vibe that may make you look as if youve been rocking since 1970, and they sound as good as they look, which is hard to come by in a good number of intermediate priced guitars. I will admit i wish Id waited a few years and gotten the worn cherry instead of the gloss cherry version that i own. The finish has a feel to it that the normal gloss poly finish just doesnt have. oh and if possible, try out a '56 GT at a shop. You'll see why we drool over those babies.

welcome to the forum, and dont hesitate to show off your axe, we all do it.

Is it the "Vintage" G400? Some of them have neck binding. The local Guitar Center had one used for 375 bucks that had neck binding, and another Mom/Pop store had a new one that also had binding. But then again, I've seen some V/G400s didn't have the binding. Strange. It's funny too, because the one Guitar Center had was calling it a "Custom". When I said to the kid (literally) on the floor it was a Vintage, and not a Custom, he had absolutely no clue what I was talking about, but I digress, was just curious if your guitar has binding.

Goldtops have apparently been "un-discontinued." Musician's Friend has them listed as "New' date='" and available on April 17.[/quote']

They are still discontinued. I had e-mailed Musicians friend about this and they said that they are still selling it because Gibson is sending them shipments until August. If you look on Epiphones website, the Goldtop is still "Discontinued".

Guest icantbuyafender

They are still discontinued. I had e-mailed Musicians friend about this and they said that they are still selling it because Gibson is sending them shipments until August. If you look on Epiphones website' date=' the Goldtop is still "Discontinued".[/quote']

Thank goodness....

still got some time.....

Im putting one on my credit card as soon as i payoff this month's expenses.

Archived