Gibson Brands Forums

Upcoming HNGD, but...

bloozeguy

Ain't gonna be an Epi, and here's why...

Looking for a good quality, low-cost 12 string, for blues fingerpicking. Yes, there ARE options. Some of those I've tried are the following:

2 Epi models, one used (PR350--$149), one new (the ONLY current model--$169). The PR can shoot arrows with the neck. yeah, I know that can be fixed, maybe. Don't know how it really sounds are strings are old.

The new one is OK, somewhat surprisingly so (lotta volume) but just doesn't float my boat--and, being all-lam, NEVER WILL! THAT'S the problem! Epi really needs a good quality 12string!

In the same shop as he latter, there was a F****r CD100 which IMO knocked the socks off the Epi. Better all-around sound and playability. Yeah, all-lam too. Also a Seagull cedar-on-cherry for about $340 which played like buttah and sounded real sweet. Too sweet. Not a blues ax.

Martin J15/12--The ideal, but now discontinued, and the one I see in the area here is still $800.-ish--beyond my means. Haven't yet checked ebay etc. yet, but want to actually see and play the box I'm getting, sooooo...

Saw a brand spankin' new Hohner HW90, solid spruce on ovangol lam that blasts everything in the range out of the water. $320. My PR6 is the trade bait--hoping to only have to shell out about $100. May happen Thursday.

Thoughts, comments, pertinent off-the-cuff reviews welcome. But the point is, Epi really needs a decent 12 string!

I have a 12-string Yamaha that's pretty decent. They're always a good "cheap" solution...

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I played one just today. Pretty good, at about the same price as the Hohner, but not quite as much volume and not as heavy in the bottom. The Hohner's a friggin' cannon!

BTW, to keep this on something of an Epiphone track, got another shot at the same store today at another DR212. Must say, still no go. Don't like the action, for sure.

This was at a Best Buy. OMG, but they don't look after their stuff well in there, at least not at the one in Rockville, MD. Lots of guitars with marks in tthe finish! Pretty shocking! Anyone with similar observations?

My advice would be to not get an Epi acousic 12. Not exactly Epi's strong point. A good solid acoustic manufacturer would do it best. Takamine' date=' Tanglewood, Yamaha etc[/quote']

I know what you mean. Nope, not Epi's strong point, for sure. That was sort of the point in bringing this up. Don't you think they could do a decent solid-top 12, maybe even a Masterbilt?

Have checked out a few of the names you mention. The Hohner blows 'em out of the water. Sad to say, just came back from trying to close that deal, but I didn't get the trade for the PR6 that I'd hoped for. I await another windfall or finding another dealer.

Meanwhile, hey, I really like the one on your avatar. The guitar's nice, too!

Well they are bringing out the new Roy Orbison 12 apparently but I don't think there's been any details on where it will be made and at what price level. Somewhere in the Masterbilt line would be perfect wouldn't it? The Riviera 12 always gets high praise but that's about the onyl one I can think of. I think all major guitar companies should try and cater for its consumer's needs as often those companies will be the first place we look.

From what I've read in your post, you haven't given Epi a chance.

You're comparing a pawn shop Epi, in need of repair, with new guit tars.

A straightened neck and new strings could turn the Epi into a cannon.

Or

Compare to a new Epi-12.

There's an old saying, "You can't play the blues unless you do it on a pawn shop guit tar." That usually means it doesn't have the projection of other guit tars as it is cheaply made... lam, most likely heavily ladder braced. Probably sounds as muddy as the Mighty Mississipi too.

From what I've read in your post' date=' you haven't given Epi a chance.

You're comparing a pawn shop Epi, in need of repair, with new guit tars.

A straightened neck and new strings could turn the Epi into a cannon.

Or

Compare to a new Epi-12.

There's an old saying, "You can't play the blues unless you do it on a pawn shop guit tar." That usually means it doesn't have the projection of other guit tars as it is cheaply made... lam, most likely heavily ladder braced. Probably sounds as muddy as the Mighty Mississipi too.

[/quote']

You're right about the pawn shop Epi (PR350, as a reminder), but I have played 2 new DR212s and reported on them above. Fine, but not my cup of meat. As far as trying to fix up the 350, there's no guarantee it'd work out, and I don't know that I want to take the time, effort and expense--and, yeah, that's just me. Anyone have anything further to say about that model that would change my mind, I'd be glad to hear it. Maybe another in better shape will come along.

Having played the blues for over 40 years, I must say that I haven't heard that quote, though I have heard the sentiment. And I don't agree with it. I mean, you MAY find a decent guitar at a pawn shop, but it's no necessity. I HAVE tried quite a few(and can tell you where a real nice EF50ORCCE is right this very moment that'll go for $500)Check out the pix of RJ--that Gibbie ain't no pawn shop guitar (and if it is, I want to know which pawn shop-and don't tell me the Gibson RJ model--POS alert, IMHO!). And many other pix of the old guys have them playing Martins and Washburns--and even the Stellas were something else entirely than they are today!

Having played the blues for over 40 years' date=' I must say that I haven't heard that quote, though I have heard the sentiment. And I don't agree with it. ...... Check out the pix of RJ--that Gibbie ain't no pawn shop guitar (and if it is, I want to know which pawn shop-and don't tell me the Gibson RJ model--POS alert, IMHO!). And many other pix of the old guys have them playing Martins and Washburns--and even the Stellas were something else entirely than they are today! [/quote']

Not like I'm a big expert on the blues or anything, but I've read that the guitar in that picture didn't even belong to Robert Johnson. He just wanted to be photographed with it, because it was really nice.

And as far as pawn shops go, it is possible to get a good one every once in a while, but it takes a lot of luck...

Hi Bloozeguy -

Some of the GC's in the D.C. area have a low-priced Mitchell 12-string that may meet your needs; they also have the Ovation 12-string severely marked-down. Depending on where you live, there's a shop in Gaithersburg, MD that has several 12-strings in stock, new & used, at various price points.

Regards,

Hi Bloozeguy -

Some of the GC's in the D.C. area have a low-priced Mitchell 12-string that may meet your needs; they also have the Ovation 12-string severely marked-down. Depending on where you live' date=' there's a shop in Gaithersburg, MD that has several 12-strings in stock, new & used, at various price points.

Regards,[/quote']

Hey, another DC-nik!

Meanwhile...

You know, I haven't given much thought to trying the Mitchell. Will do so. Solid top, yes?

I know the shop in G'burg you mention. Been there, done that.

Ever get to the open mic at Growlers--right across the street from what I think is the store you mention? You just may have seen the ol' Bloozeguy in action if you have.

...and a good point brought up by Old Scratch, too!

Archived