Gibson Brands Forums

peavey exp.. ?

TWANG

Was it Capt. Midnight who has one of these..

tele shape, bound body, twin humbucks, piezo bridge saddles.. active passive combination..

vol tone for humbucks.. vol. only for piezo bridge.. three way switch for piezo/both/magnetics..

five way switch on humbucks. grover tuners.

anyone else?

chinese I think.

Well, I bought one. used at GC... no case.

needs neck shimmed a tick.. no sweat. nut cut too high, will dump plastic for bone anyway.

frets are fairly ok though, may not have to do anything there.

Solid.. nice looking.. no problems other than those mentioned.

pickups aren't terrible.. not great but nothing bad about 'em.

piezo is nice.. surprisingly very close to an acoustic electric, without quite as much of that problematic attack

piezos have in acoustics.

I'm gonna give it the full doo dah and slap her on ebay.

Was surprised after seeing it that these went for around 300.00 new.

discontinued.. with some feeling used prices may raise instead of go down. I could see that, somewhat, but don't expect it.

Light, easy to play.. good finish..

TWANG

I've tried out a couple of Peavey guitars and bought a Peavey bass new once. Our bass player was threatening to quit pretty frequently when he got on his high horse. So, I bought a bass. He asked me why I bought a bass and I told him that somebody was going to have to play bass when he finally walked off. He never mentioned quitting again after that and wouldn't sit still until I sold him my bass.

I have a Peavey foundation that I bought used and like it. I'm pretty high on Peavey products. They build quality and back it up with no questions asked warranty service.

Like Dave above me here, I've owned tons of Peavey stuff over the years, and have never had a problem with it. It's all solidly built, works great, sounds great, and can take a ton of abuse. And their customer service, the few times I talked with them, were a joy to deal with. I bought a digital effects processor used, and they were more than happy to send me a new manual for it, free of charge.

I love Peavey.

Hey Twang,

What I have is a 1994 Reactor and if you get a chance to pick one up do it. The neck is sweet.

Crafted in the good old USA and I paid if I remember right 160 bucks for it, no more than 175 I know. this is the one I got the tuners for from you. They have another one with twin rail pick ups also. I was thinking about putting some in this one, at least for the bridge to warm it up a bit. I like how the stock neck pick up sounds tho.

Capt

reactor4.jpg

reactor3.jpg

reactor1.jpg

I had her apart a bit already. *G*

The nut is cheap plastic.. hard plastic.. they used too much clear glue and it snapped coming out..

good.. I would have killed it anyway.

so in went bone.

The frets had been diddled with.. and though it was a lousy job, no harm was done.

So I levelled it without a crown or polish.. I've got about three places where it needs a bit more work.. that will be a snap.. very nice action already and hardly anything taken off.

I adjusted the intonation.. man, between the terrible nut material, crappy nut slots, needed a level crown and polish, plus the intonaton being waaaaaaay far off, I can see why someone would think this guitar sucked.

But after I got to it.. heh. She's sweet!

The piezo saddles may not be Graph Tech, but they are fine. They sound very good.

The low E was way loud at first, but after adjustment of the saddles it's all balanced now.

The tuners didn't even have the bushings tightened down. All six were loose. So you'd tune it, the tuner would move slightly forward in rotation, then you'd bend and the tuner would rotate back.... probably convinced someone it had bad tuners.. tightened them up. .they work perfect.

Nice Grover minis.

Swirl and haze remover on the finish.. a little carnuba wax. Zoom.. looks sweet.

The humbucks are not super duper... but don't suck at all. The five way works fine.

The set screws on the knobs were hitting the wrong spot on the pot shafts.. typical. Fixed easily.

Overall, I think I got a pretty good deal.

It's good looking, lots of sounds, plays great, took very little work to bring up to pro playing and sound.

I've got a gig bag for it.

So.. I think I can move this on ebay pretty quickly, and make somebody very happy in the process..

I think I'll add 35.00 to what I paid, for the bag and my work, and I'm sure it will blow any stock version away.

That's practically a free nut and fret level,crown. polish so .. seems pretty darn fair to me.

I looked 'em up, and since I'll be under 200.00 it shoud sell, and beat the competition.

OR I'm full of it and I just got a new guitar!

Things wrong with it:

one of the string through body ferrules was cut a little too deep.

I may fix that, looks doable.

I thought the neck needed shimmed.. but it doesn't.. they just had the saddles so far forward the thing wouldn't play right.

That's it.

Somebody probably got burnt trading it off.. all because of niggles and quirks.

Nice guitar Capt. Peavey seems underated judging by this one. I've had three foundation basses.. and while I wasn't stone crazy about the pups, they played and sounded well enough for me.

If I can sell off Big Red and the LP Studio, I'd keep this one for me. I like it a lot.

TWANG

I dont own any Peavy stuff but a good friend has three of their guitars and swears by them. He also loves their Amps. Im an Epiphone/Marshal kind of guy but the Peavy stuff looks well made for sure and he gigs with it happily.

Archived