Gibson Brands Forums

Ever hear of damage THIS bad ?

Bender 4 Life

Sorry, no pics yet, but my Paw in Law has an old Korean Dove copy (not an Epi, a Homutaya or some such)

that the bridge isn't lifting away from the body on.........it's actually TEARING THE BODYWOOD LOOSE under the bridge

and has lifted about 1/2 " over the years.

It got so humid that it DISSOLVED the wooden tuning key buttons, down to mostly nubs.

It sat tightly strung, in a non climate controlled room with a roofleak (aka SAUNA) for a long time.

I know it's irreprable......but I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

Sorry' date=' no pics yet, but my Paw in Law has an old Korean Dove copy (not an Epi, a Homutaya or some such)

that the bridge isn't lifting away from the body on.........it's actually TEARING THE BODYWOOD LOOSE under the bridge

and has lifted about 1/2 " over the years.

It got so humid that it DISSOLVED the wooden tuning key buttons, down to mostly nubs.

It sat tightly strung, in a non climate controlled room with a roofleak (aka SAUNA) for a long time.

I know it's irreprable......but I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.[/quote']

Gonna have to have pics to say for sure.

Sounds like the glue holding the bridge to the top is the best around if the wood failed first.

Tuner buttons melting? Only if left in a parked car, in a black case, one the rear window deck, in Arizona, in August.

Well, maybe not necessarily Arizona, but meltling or deissolving buttons is a bit unusual. Could be that it is so old the plastic has degrade to the point it is literally falling apart with bits of the solid fraction chalking off.

Gotta Agree - I have never heard of tuning keys dissolving because of heat or humidity. Bakelite keys will break down and disintegrate over the years but that guitar would not be near old enough to have bakelite parts (the Dove was not introduced until the ealry 1960s and clones of U.S. guitars made in Korea did not start hitting the market until the mid-1970s).

First, nothing is beyond repair. The real question is - is the guitar worth the expense of repairing. Ordinarily, if an inexpenisve offshore guitar, most would say no. But if the guitar has sentimental value that is a whole other ballgame.

The bridge lifting or warping could be the result of too humid or too dry conditions. It can result from string tension and is more commonly found on improperly braced guitars. Often the culprit is that the builder had left finish between the bridge and the top.

Archived