Gibson Brands Forums

Help!

Mattt0192

Matt, I'm sure you can get better info from some of the more knowledgable members but I'll offer my take on it. Besides being cost prohibitive, I think what you're discussing would be near impossible.

First consideration would be the scale length of the guitar. A standard acoustic would have a much shorter scale length than a bass guitar. That being the case, I would think that having bass strings installed would be too much strain on the neck and bridge.

Its just not a good idea Matt. They are lots of inexpensive acoustic bass guitars out there that you could look into.

Matt' date=' I'm sure you can get better info from some of the more knowledgable members but I'll offer my take on it. Besides being cost prohibitive, I think what you're discussing would be near impossible.

First consideration would be the scale length of the guitar. A standard acoustic would have a much shorter scale length than a bass guitar. That being the case, I would think that having bass strings installed would be too much strain on the neck and bridge.

Its just not a good idea Matt. They are lots of inexpensive acoustic bass guitars out there that you could look into.[/quote']

+1

So many reasons why this is such a bad idea. You can get a very good cheap acoustic bass if you have a little look. If you're into making it yourself then look out for a repair project or neck and body combo unfinished etc

Also, think about why you want an acoustic bass. Most of them (at least the cheaper ones) dont "project" like an acoustic guitar. You still need amplification to jam in a louder setting.

An acoustic bass is really more about tone than amplification...or lack thereof.

But if you really want to play your acoustic guitar as a bass, the only thing you can do is put on heavy strings and play with your fingers.

Really? I regularly jam with my friend and he plays his acoustic bass in the house and it's a good alternative to amping our electrics up

I never had much volume with mine unplugged. In a quieter setting it was fine. But we used to have unplugged jams with a couple acoustic guitars and some hand drums and I'd always be drowned out. Even moreso outside.

I'm not saying that you cant hear it at all, I'm just saying that he may be dissappointed if it doesnt live up to his "acoustic" expectations. I had a pretty cheap one ($200 US). This is just my opinion from experience I had with one acoutic bass though.

I guess my advice would be that if you ARE going to consider buying one, take a friend and jam together at the store before you buy. And try out a few to compare.

Archived