Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Studio wiring

alfsboy

I had a severe short in my Dot SE .Finding it took a while and most of the wiring joints were so weak from the factory that most fell off when I tried to insert the pots and loom back into the body after sorting the fault .I have decided to get a couple of CTS pots ,open out the holes in the wood and just install a simpler Dot studio wiring .I didnt really ever use the more complex two volume two tone pots version anyway and prefer a simpler Tele style wiring si I shall install two pots as dummys and two CTS for tone and volume .This will probably do me for now and maybe later I will get a good quality wiring loom and 2 more CTS pots and install it all back to spec but probably not .I will use the Gibson wiring plan for the studio as I can actually follow it .I have a new Switchcraft jack to install and a new switch .Anyone any thoughts ?.I use Tone rider Rocksongs.

First, it seems to me that you want good wiring and pots, and going to all the effort you are, it makes more sense to redo the guitar like you want it than to mess about with stuff you're going to replace eventually anyway.

You can use your old pots for dummys.

CTS pots, new cap, maybe add treble bleed..

you could swap one of the dummy pots to a switch.. for series/paralllel when in the middle pos. both pups on.

You can check out my Big Red posts for what I did to my studio.

I added the s/p switch, and two pots and built the harness for it and I like it very much.

You can pm me about doing the holes, etc.. if need be.

TWANG

This sounds very interesting Twang.Can you point me to your post on the mods .My Dot is very nice ,its my guitar and I put a lot of work into its action,hardware etc and it plays very well and soiunds great I may as well wire it up to my satisfaction as well and your series.parallel sounds ideal .I,ve opened the holes up with a Dremel and some care so the guitar lays ready for mods.As I never want to sell it ,its resale value will have no importance .

thanks

lemmee see if I can find it.

It the Big Red posts. there were a couple.

well.. I can't find it, Must be over ten pages back.

It's there if you want to look. I don't have time to keep going.

But you can pm with any questions.. and I have some pics at photobucket.. though I posted them all here, too.

TWANG

lemmee see if I can find it.

It the Big Red posts. there were a couple.

well.. I can't find it' date=' Must be over ten pages back.

It's there if you want to look. I don't have time to keep going.

But you can pm with any questions.. and I have some pics at photobucket.. though I posted them all here, too.

TWANG[/quote']

Is this the Big Red Thread...

Archived