Gibson Brands Forums

Completelt different sound from amp by changing preamp tube!

I was always a bit sceptical on how much your sound would change so i swapped my preamp tubes over in my two amps.

My valve junior V3 now has a no name 12ax7 in it and sounds like crap really bad. (Preamp from my laney)

My laney LV200 hybrid amp sounds alot more full and the distortion is crisper a definet improvment! (I have a electroharmonix 12ax7 in the laney now from the VJ)

Any how im gonna buy myself a couple of JJ tubes i think as ive heard these are really good for overall improvement. My laney has really improved over the last couple of days, once by not using the fx loop and again buy changing the preamp valve!

In a word Bold. I changed out the stock JJ power tube with another

JJ, but took the advise i got here on the Tung sol for the 12ax7. It just

sounds like a more expensive amp. No rough edges. I hear the Vjr

described as "boxy" by some and never really agreed with that, but I

kind of got what they were saying. An Eq can pretty much solve that,

but with this tube it's way better on it's own and with an eq this is just a

great tone now.

The laney became less fizzy and more crunchy at the same distortion settings. Made the amp more full sounding, more like a tube amp and less like a ss amp. generally improved overall. Im after a good 80's rock crunch and it got it closer than the stock preamp with no name which came out of it. The valve junior became thinner sounding and generally really harsh.

Its still no marshall as ive been playing with the settings all day and it cant nail it but thats cos its not a marshall!! Saving for one now and condering what amp/gear to part with to help fund it

the tubestore.com or tubesandmore.com one of those has some 5751 NOS pretty inexpensive..

I really like the lower gain.. and the tone/overdrive sound of the 5751 better..

and some guys use even lower output preamp tubes and like them.

I really recommend that you try some swaps in the jv.. usually ten bucks or so will get you a tube and you may find the ONE!

TWANG

the tubestore.com or tubesandmore.com one of those has some 5751 NOS pretty inexpensive..

I really like the lower gain.. and the tone/overdrive sound of the 5751 better..

and some guys use even lower output preamp tubes and like them.

I really recommend that you try some swaps in the jv.. usually ten bucks or so will get you a tube and you may find the ONE!

TWANG

ok heres a questoin I have one of the older vox valvetronix 120 wat 2x12 with the oxblood grill and all, and i think its a hybrid with two preamp tubes? can these be changed to help the sound of the amp over all, and what type of tubes would i need to put into my little giant head to make it sound more like a Fender? thanks guys

I had a Vox AD-30-VT for about a year and yes you can change the preamp tubes. Bit fiddly (On the 30 watt combo) but is possible. I reakon would make a difference.

I Email Eurotubes for there advice on this email address, eurotubes@cnnw.net

Explain you have a hybrid amp and what you want ie more bright cleans ect and he'll advice what tubes. Very helpful guy i thought. Also make sure you look to see whats in the and tell him also. I emailed and said i have a laney hybrid amp with a single preamp tube 12ax7 electroharmonix what do you reakomend to give me the sound of guns and rose ect

www.eurotubes.com

Archived