Gibson Brands Forums

British sound american sound??? Whats what???

Hey simple question, just reading up on amps as looking to get one soon, some say british sounding some say american sounding?

Well i like guns and roses and they used marshall jcm 800 so as its marshall is it a british tone or america as they are american?

Just a tad confused

Thanks

GnR American Band,, British Marshall tone.

Queen British,,, British Vox Tone.

Jimi Hendrix American,, British Marshall tone.

Rush Canadian,,, Hughes and Kettner pristine clean sound.

Think crunchy over drive, think Marshall.

Think clean like country, then Fender.

Although these are just generalizations

Any one guitarist could use multiple amps.

I have several DVD's of Stevie Ray Vaughan and when he did Hendrix he walks over switches to a Marshall and turns everything to 10.. otherwise it looks like he uses a Fender Twin

Cheers mate, i love the 80's rock sound so looking for that or something similar where i can bash out powerchords and nice warm lead solos.

The vox night train has a great crunch sound and so does the orange tiny terror. I mean i love marshall but i dont think i can afford. I may wait yet but the orange is real nice sounding.

I love the sounds of guns and roses van halen AC-DC black sabbath bon jovi ect

I have three modeling amps and I usually end up liking the AC30 tone most of the time, simply because the added mid-range boost gives me a little more punch and harmonics. I like the Fender Twin emulation for clean tones and that's the one I choose for chorus rhythms, also.

On my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 I like the Bad Cat model for solos. It's on the edge of crunch if you add a little pre-gain to the mix and lends itself to the EVH sound. Palm mutes get that harmonic resonance and there's a peak there that allows you to create little harmonic squeals at will with just a little more pre-gain drive.

I guess it's still a matter of preference, experimentation in the store, and real life experience with an amp and pedals that gets you where you want to be. That can be an expensive journey unless you have a local store that will let you take it into a sound-damped room and experiment. The trouble with that is finding a store that will let you crank and play and try different hookups. And, you always run the risk of getting a totaly different sound when you buy it and bring it home or to a gig.

Archived