Gibson Brands Forums

NCM, I was thinking of you....

FennRx

today when I was in GC. they had some decent deals, nothing i wanted though. And then I saw in the very back, a satin es-335. i have been GASing for a semi-hollow for a while now and these seem to be the best bang for the buck (or maybe the elusive es-339).

anyhoo, i see it's on "clearance" for $1500, so i tell the kid to get it down for me. I go to grab the neck and the kid says "be careful, there's a little crack on this side."

this "little crack" was a FULL crack and the headstock was being held on by the string tension. and he proceeds to tell me how this is a great price for a "flawed" guitar. i looked at him and said, "what this is, is a piece of firewood. if you repair the break and do a good job with it, i might give you $500 for it."

****ing GC. i hate them so much.

I'm flattered!

Thinking of ME while in GC?

Actually, Mrs. Neo and I were in the Scottsdale GC today - the nicest of the four in Phoenix.

I was thinking about all the forum guys assuming I never go into GC and obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

Checking out a few Les Paul Customs, just to see what's out there, and I found a really cool one.

Black, with P-90's and flowerpot headstock logo. Gold hardware, and the binding was "aged" to pumpkin orange.

List was $4400, they were blowing it out for $1800.

Well, I LOVE P-90's and played it a little.....

VERY cool guitar except that I don't like black, gold hardware or pumpkin orange binding, looks ridiculous...

But it sounded badass and played really well.

Told the guy Jeff (as I always do) that I wasn't buying today, just looking, but he REALLY wanted to snag me.

He took the tag to go scan it because he wanted to "find out something" and he would be right back.

Comes back to tell me that the "E" on the SKU means "exploded" and the case would be sold separately.

I gave him the look......

He melted immediately and started apologizing because that's such a low price and that's the way GC tracks items....

I asked Jeff if he realized the public views this as worse than slimey used car sales tricks.

Yes, yes, yes, but it such a sweet deal on the guitar and the case will only be about $180!

I gave him the look again......

I asked him if he knew (GC manager "A") or (GC manager "B") or (GC manager "C") and he did not.

Only worked there for three months.

I recognized another guy who was "promoted" from the sh!t hole Avondale store, he remembered me - smiled....

He showed me another LP with P-90's for $1,100.

I asked him (half-joking) if the headstock was broke for that price.

"Um, actually, yes...."

Well, for a player it would be cool - if I was doing gigs.

Nasty looking headstock repair on a 77 Deluxe that had P-90's instead of the mini humbuckers. NOT nice.

I thanked Jeff for his time, he seemed like a nice young guy, has his own band and such...

The wife asked after we left "Would you really buy that guitar from them?"

Well, if I had the cash, yeah - it's a good deal on a sweet guitar, but the case would come with it.

No need in beating the guy up if I have no intention of buying, I'm not THAT much of an asshole....

Archived