Gibson Brands Forums

Starting to look like a Les Paul again!

Swoop

I've had my Les Paul sitting in its case in the wardrobe for months now, waiting to be rewired. I was going to take it to a tech to get done, but haven't really had the spare funds do to fulfiling my GAS for other things! After checking out all the great looking Agile LPs and pining to play mine again, I decided I really wanted to get it done. Plus I performed some capacitor mods on my SG and Firebird, and am now much more confident at soldering and wiring (although the Firebird didn't quite go according to plan, and I'll have to sort that out too).

So today I thought 'bugger it', and decided to tackle it myself. Dunno why I didn't do this months ago, it's really not that difficult! I've had everything sitting there, the pickups, pots, and all manner of new hardware for it, so it didn't take long to wire most of it. I have all the pickups and pots wired up, now I just have to get some wire and install the jack and switch, then I'm ready for testing.

Couple of average pics. I have to reposition the wires on one of the pots so there's enough length to slot it into its hole, but that's not a major. I'll see if I can find some suitable wire at the hardware store tomorrow and get it completed.

DSC00102-1.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

The neck pickup is a GFS Vintage '59, whilst the bridge is a Crunchy PAT. It's wired for coil splitting with a pair of push/pull tone pots. Among those new electronics, I've fitted some new Grover 18:1 tuners, and it'll have a new Gotoh bridge and stop tailpiece, and basically all the old Gold hardware will be replaced with shiny new stuff, which was sort of the whole purpose of the exercise; to restore everything. I sure am looking forward to trying out these pups and playing the heavy ***** again!

Cheers Jim. I'm definitely looking forward to playing a 'Paula', as you call it, again. I've missed playing a big old girl such as this. I guess I found some solace with the Firebird being a big hefty guitar too, but the LP is just different. I have a feeling I'm going to love that neck pickup. I'm a neck pickup kind of guy and the Vintage '59 should be right up my alley. And I'm sure the bridge pickup is going to sound ballsy too. I guess that's how I'd describe a Les Paul in general, just big, thick, and ballsy tone. Gonna make a trip to the guitar store tomorrow, pick up some new strings ready for her (I have half a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys lying around that I had to poach a couple from a while back after breaking a couple of strings, so I'll use those to tet that it works) and swing by the big hardware store and grap some wire to finish her off. Can't wait!

Sure beats staying at home studying all day that's for sure!

Well I got some wire and wired everything up according to the diagram... but it doesnt work! All I get when I plug it in is a bit of hum which stops when I touch anything metallic, which suggests to me it's some kind of grounding issue. And if I turn the pots I get a little bit of a crackle but nothing else. Can anyone suggest what this might be. I'm pretty stumped. I'm certain I've done exactly as the diagram says, but nothing is working!

Swoop, we need pics to make a good guess. I'm probably telling you what you already know, but here goes.

The best way to do wiring is to draw your diagram actual size of your guitar.

Make sure your diagram uses the same colors as the actual pickup wires. Use kids crayons if necessary.

Use different color wire for each purpose. Dark color wire for ground leads, or the same color as your pickup ground wires.

Bright colors for hot, or positive leads.

Check each wire off the diagram as you complete the connection.

Try not to get parts too hot. They say 5-6 seconds for a connection.

Use heat sinks to divert heat from sensitive parts. These are just alligator (roach) clips clipped on to the

wire immediately beside the joint you're working on.

Hope this helps.

Archived