Gibson Brands Forums

Tarnished Gold and general HELP!

Beatles Beatnik

Hey guys, I have been lurking around this forum for a few months now, and you guys always have some great topic going. It was not until now that I have a question (and since the search on this website isn't the best) I though to join and post it. I own an Epi Dot Deluxe, and it is such a sweet guitar. But after a year or so of playing it, the pots, tuners, and basically everything gold on the guitar is tarnished as seen in these pictures.

0917091117.jpg

0917091118a.jpg

0917091118.jpg

0917091118b.jpg

How can I fix this? But more importantly....how can I stop this from ever happening again?

Also, what are some general guitar-care tips for the Dot Deluxe? I never got a manual, and I can only remember some of the stuff that was discussed before.

Sorry to say that the "gold" finish on Epi guitars is quite thin, and tends to wear off fairly quickly. "Chrome" hardware doesn't fare much better, but at least its less noticable when the shiny finish wears through to the base metal. In any case, you can use a little Goo Gone and an old clean T-shirt to remove the oxidation and clean things up a little, but there is nothing that will stop the gold from wearing off on the budget Epis.

That's one of the reasons that a lot of folks go for nickel-plated brass hardware - doesn't really wear off. On vintage instruments, some folks send their hardware to a professional plating company, but you'd spend more doing that than a Dot Deluxe is worth.

Whatever you do, don't use regular tarnish remover - that stuff is abrasive and will take ALL the gold plating right off.

I was told by the gold plater I use is that tuners and bridges cannot be re-plated..... They become non-functioning 70% of the time, and he wont take the liability....

The only thing he will re-plate is pup covers, tailpieces and screws.....

I just happen to know a guy that can re-plate anything.............he's just painfully slow..............so all you need to do is ship that guitar to ME, and in 5-7 years i'll return it with fresh plating.....:-k

disclaimer: I may lose your address and change mine during that time.............:D

but really, lots of ppl. on this forum have switched over to nickel or chrome, it looks good !

Buy New parts, IF...it's that important. All can be purchased through various dealers, on-line or stores.

BUT....A lot of people like the "patina" of faded gold, and the "vintage" look it imparts. If you're going to

glass case your guitar, buy New parts. If you're going to play it....play it! Don't worry about the faded gold.

It gives it a worn in, comfortable look....IMHO (as always).

You can polish gold plating, with mild hand soap (ivory, for example) on a damp (not wet) cotton wash

cloth. After appliction, wipe down with dry cotton cloth. Do not use abrasive cleaners, or "Tarn Away," type cleaners.

Just mild hand (bar) soap and 100% ALL COTTON cloths.

CB

Well, I am never going to glass case a guitar....unless it is a original guitar played by The Beatles lol...

I know that the worn look is good, I am just wondering as when looking at vintage guitars on eBay and the local guitar stores...they look almost perfect, and I just wonder after years of playing they look better than mine after on year of me playing mine, and that is with wiping down the strings after every session. Thanks guys and Rock Hard!

"Vintage" has become the new hook "buzz word" for "used!" And, even if it IS "Vintage," if it looks "almost perfect," it hasn't been Loved...except (possibly) as

an object. But certainly, never played much! A well taken care of "Vintage" instrument, will look Played and Loved! It will have some signs it was played, some

may be REALLY played! LOL! But, that just adds to the charm/mystic, if you like? Just enjoy your guitar, play and love it, and let it do, what it does best...make

music!

Cheers,

CB

Archived