Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Dot neck wood question

barrysrq

I have been doing an upgrade project on my '00 Dot Deluxe, and realized I don't know what kind of wood the neck is made of. Dark blue (limited edition) color obscures any grain, or contrast with maple body. Even inside the truss rod cover and neck pickup cavity is painted. I've always thought it is maple.

Current standard Dot specs specify mahogany, but look around online dealers and most say maple. Al least one very reputable dealer says maple in one place and mahogany elsewhere on the same page! They mostly appear to cut and paste the info without reading it.

On natural finish Dots you can see the mahogany, and its contrast to the maple body. I have also seen an older natural Dot Deluxe (plain wood, not flame) with an obvious maple neck and headstock, one piece and different from the laminated Sheraton neck.

Are Deluxe necks maple and regular Dots mahogany? Has it changed back and forth over the years, or from different factories?

A challenge for you Epiphone experts!

Extra credit question: When was the Epiphone Dot introduced?

Thanks for any helpful insight!

Barry

Good question. I say this because I have also wondered the same thing. I have a 2007 Cherry Dot. It is an "EE", made in China. It's a great guitar.

I have also thought the neck was maple, because, well, it looks like maple to me. Same grain as the body. And you can see the grain fairly easy on mine.

So who has the answer?

On natural finish Dots you can see the mahogany' date=' and its contrast to the maple body. I have also seen an older natural Dot Deluxe (plain wood, not flame) with an obvious maple neck and headstock, one piece and different from the laminated Sheraton neck.[/quote']

Here's the only photo I have of my Dot that shows the neck, but there's definitely a contrast. It's an early '07EE.

Blk_knobs3.jpg

Thanks all for the replies, that's a beauty Dennis!

The mystery continues. I wrote to Gibson/Epiphone with the only address I could find, a link from the FAQs page to the service dept. Got a quick and courteous reply: The Dot and Dot Deluxe are mahogany necks, the Dot Studio is maple!???

Of course the Epi website says mahogany for the Studio... :P

I am finishing up the rebuild, will be getting a custom pickguard and truss rod cover in the mail soon. I may have to do some paint scraping inside the truss pocket to find out.

Archived