Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone el nino ??? info

dlockett2

Never heard of it.

There's a Wikizic site that purports to post pictures and info about guitars. Their info has been spotty at best. They list an Epi Elnino. They have a video linked to it:

El Niño del Tambor de Lost Acapulco (Little Drummer Boy)

El Nino del Tambor means "little Drummer Boy" The guy is playing a Strat like object...

But, as it's name suggests, it may be a travel sized guit tar. Possibly for the Mexican market?

Got any pics?

They wouldn't be confusing the name with El Segundo or El Capitan, acoustic basses would they?

I posted a query over on the Gibson Acoustics board. Some of the old timers got their start on Epi's and are quite knowledgable. I'll keep you posted.

El Nino is translated as "the boy" or sometimes "the kid." The name makes sense on small guitar. In the late 80s (I think), the Epi El Nino was a travel size guitar with a single cutaway. It had a shape reminiscent of the '50's Epiphone Emperor Regent, before it was given Gibson's L5 shape.

It might be possible that Epi also used the name on something else, but the travel guitar is the only use of it that I know.

Red 333

That's it!

Red 333

Paruwi, You beat me to it.

Latest intel I had is that it was a travel guit box and had a composite / plastic bowl back. Not exactly like an Ovulation, but with straight sides and a modestly arched back that met at a small radius. Gibby made a full size version of this once to go up against the upstart from Connecticut. Didn't last long though.

Wow.. pics and every thing. You're all right Paruwi

Paruwi' date=' You beat me to it.

Latest intel I had is that it was a travel guit box and had a composite / plastic bowl back. Not exactly like an Ovulation, but with straight sides and a modestly arched back that met at a small radius. Gibby made a full size version of this once to go up against the upstart from Connecticut. Didn't last long though.

Wow.. pics and every thing. You're all right Paruwi

[/quote']

I saw one of the Ovation style Gibsons at the Arlington Guitar Show last weekend. It was a regular dread shape, though. I wonder how many styles they made.

Red 333

Thanks for the link. I don't think they were very popular, so not many models were made.

My take on the Ebay offering:

Closing remarks, his words paraphrased: "The Gibson J-25 in my opinion is definitely worth every penny if you happen come across one."

I'm selling off several of my favorites Jeeze, how many times do we hear this on Ebay? Why is it that Ebay sellers seem to have a propensity to 'thin the herd' by keeping thier old crap guit tars and selling the good stuff. Does that make any sense?

(see my other auctions) and this one is the hardest to part with - Its got that warm Gibson honey tone with the requisite "thumpy" bass - Strumming it loud Does that mean you really got to wail on it? is a real pleasure - If it doesn't sell I'll probably be relieved I suspect he will be relieved, because at over a grand... he'll keeping it a while.

The bridge looks to be as thick as a new bar of Irish Spring. The saddle is really buried in there. I seem to recall someone else making a comment about a thick bridged Gibson. Maybe this is it.

It's funny that here in Australia we have a cyclical warm water current that causes drought here, and all to often. It's called "El Nino" and we are told that it means "Christ's Child". I don't speak Spanish so don't know myself but can there be two different meanings for that term?

Dig

It's funny that here in Australia we have a cyclical warm water current that causes drought here' date=' and all to often. It's called "El Nino" and we are told that it means "Christ's Child". I don't speak Spanish so don't know myself but can there be two different meanings for that term?

Dig[/quote']

We have the same thing here in California Digs. El Niño, translated means "The boy". This term however is often used to refer to 'the Christ Child". But it doesn't directly translate to that. There's also "La Niña, which is of course, "the girl", and is another water/weather related condition.

It's funny that here in Australia we have a cyclical warm water current that causes drought here' date=' and all to often. It's called "El Nino" and we are told that it means "Christ's Child". I don't speak Spanish so don't know myself but can there be two different meanings for that term?

Dig[/quote']

I think the tie in to "The Christ Child" is that the season current is associated with Christmas time of year. The talking heads covered this a couple years ago when our SW was in a bad drought. as the seasonal la niño current was lasting too long or starting up too early, causing dry weather in SW United States.

This current, if my memory serves me, and sometimes it don't, parallel's the equator in the Pacific ocean, making a u-turn near South America and heads back across the Pacific to start the cylcle all over again. How this affects weather in SW United States is beyond my knowledge.

El niño's opposite current which displaces it on a seasonal basis is called la niña. Probably because little girl is opposite little boy. La niña is a cool current that cycles across the Pacific, making a u-turn at South America.

El niño and la niña are but two of the many ocean currents world wide. Global warming might be partly caused by a shifting of the ocean currents, specifically those that circumnavigate the globe around Antarctica, then take a detour into the Atlantic. It is not understood if this shift is a cause or a symptom of global warming.

It is believed that this shift has happened in the past and is happening again. This cyclical shift is associated with the last global warming event and occurs over an approximately 600 year cycle. As such, only anectodatal evidence is available because the last Global Warming event and subsequent Global Cooling event happened before weather instruments such as thermometers and barometers had been invented. ... and... it precedes the industrial revolution, shooting holes in the "WE DID IT" theory. Global warming is happening, there is little we've done to cause it and precious little we can do to stop it. All we can do is ride it out.... heck, we've done it before and didn't even know it.

Thanks Brad and all of you that responded to my comment. It seems that El Nino brings drought to Australia and at the same time above average rains elsewhere which means some of you have got "our" rain.....can we have it back please?

Dig (ever hopeful )

Love to give it to you, but we can't. It's been raining so much harvest has been delayed by almost a month. This is costing farmers thousands of dollars a day from grain loss due to being over ripe. They might get some shuckin' done this week.

Archived