Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Wildkat-Strings,Pedals

mrw1960

I just picked up a Wildkat-LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone who has a Wildkat give any info about what strings they are using in regards to blues? Mine has 11's on it and I just got a few sets of DR Pure Blues 11-50's. I am running through a Epiphone Blues Custom 30 amp. Sounds AWESOME. Yesterday I decided to try some of my pedals. The Tubescreamer is nice, Boss SD-1 "Bad to the BONE", I also tried my Marshall Bluesbreaker II, NICE. Has anyone had any experience with the BOSS Fender '59 Bassman FBM-1 pedal. I went to their website and heard a demo,AWESOME SOUND!!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks..:)

My Guitars: Epiphone Wildkat

PRS SE Custom

Squier Standard Strat modded with

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus Humbucker,

Lindy Fralin Blues Special Single Coils

My Amps: Epiphone Blues Custom 30

Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt

My Toys: Boss SD-1

Ibanez TS9DX Tubescreamer

Marshall Bluesbreaker II

Crybaby Wah-Wah

Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion

I have a Wildkat and I don't use anything above 10-46 because heavy strings annoy me and I think they're highly overrated. I also don't really value sustain much, if I want to hear a note go on for longer I can just hit it again if I have to.

I don't play blues these days but when I was in a blues band many years ago I used a Fender USA Strat Plus. I was never completely happy with it, and trading it for the Wildkat and some amp gear is a move I've never regretted. I do teach blues guitar a lot though, and the Wildkat makes blues a no-brainer if you ask me, I dare say it would be almost impossible NOT to get a good blues tone of some sort out of it if you're a reasonably competent player.

People use pedals for blues? Crybaby wah maybe but you don't need anything else if your amp is good.

Congrats on the new guitar man! Enjoy her and play her as much as possible!

Pedals is a tricky question, since you do not specify budget and there is a HUGE market out there... Generally speaking, for blues / rock / hard rock, I don't think you can go wrong with one of the following:

M.I. Audio Blues Pro

Digitech Bad Monkey

Digitech Hardwire CM-2

MXR GT-OD

Ibanez TS-9 / TS-808 (or the equivalents from Maxon)

Fulltone OCD

CMATMODS Signa Drive / Butah

Gearmanndude Luther Drive

and I'm sure I'm leaving others out of the picture... Good luck deciding!

Archived