Gibson Brands Forums

Old Epiphone acoustic

waterman27

I need help identifying an old Epiphone Acoustic. Pictures are NOT available yet, but the headstock is all mother of pearl with Epiphone labeled in block letters in a scroll with a small leaf inlay headed towards the fretboard. There is a large number 4 right before the headstock. Top appears to be mahogany, back has a serious repaired crack, but is a dark sunburst color. Any help or links would be appreciated.

Thank you for the responses. It is definately a Model 4 Flat top. Looks identical to the pictures in the link that JohnL gave. Exceptions, no pickguard and grover tuners. Again, a somewhat major crack in the back that has been repaired but plays excellent. Anyone know how to find a estimated value..? Thanks again for all the help.

Pat

If the guitar is in your possesion, I think your best bet would be to get an appraisal from a dealer like Gruhn's or Elderly Instruments. Also, I think archtop.com sold one a couple of years ago; you might try e-mailing them. The problem with something like a Model 4 is that while the supply is scarce, so is the demand; and that tends to keep the price down (well, it's a problem for sellers; not so much for buyers).

This model has a serious amount of 'cool'.

It has features I've never seen before, nor since. The floating saddle on a fixed bridge is pure genius. The fret position markers, though, give me a headache.... [confused] or maybe it's my astigmatic eyes trying to see through bifocals.

This model has a serious amount of 'cool'.

It has features I've never seen before' date=' nor since. The floating saddle on a fixed bridge is pure genius. The fret position markers, though, give me a headache.... [crying or maybe it's my astigmatic eyes trying to see through bifocals.

+1 on the cool factor. And no, It's not like say, a Lloyd Loar L-5 in value but it isn't always about the money and even still, that guitar most certainly is valuable.

That is a SERIOUSLY COOL guitar. Congratulations.

Larens

They came in both flavors. If you skive off all but the last 'thevintagecollection' from the above link you get the parent page of the above link:

http://www.epiphone.com/thevintagecollection/

There are four model / style "4"'s featured. One is an arch top. It isn't the same arch top as, say an L-5, but the back and sides do belly up a bit.

Okay, here are the links for some pictures. Not sure how to get them on here any other way. If anyone has an idea of value it would be appreciated. I contact Elderly and it seems this is very rare. Thanks for all the input.

epi4full.jpg

epi4headstock.jpg

epi4front.jpg

Any help

Pat

Please detail the binding, back of the headstock and heel. That will help determine the year. It is a flat top model 4, probably from the 30's though it's hard to say from just those pics. It appears to have had the bridge replaced when it was converted to a lefty. You should take it in for appraisal. You have to really inspect a guitar up close and personal to attach a value to it when it is something like this.

Well I can tell you that its very unfortunate that someone converted this beauty as it greatly reduces its value

and the tuners do not look like from that time period either.

So you have several things that have devalued this gorgeous guitar, they are pretty hard to come by also

as I do believe they were considered Epiphones higher end guitar from that time, though I am more familar

with the jazz box from that series. Sorry but I couldn't really guess what the value could be and if you are thinking

of selling then I would suggest that you look at an auction house like Christies ( https://www.christies.com/MyChristies/login.aspx?action=my_auction_calendar )

At least you'll get a larger viewer of folks to judge it potential value.Ship

INteresting. The Epiphone Vintage display page reveals that the pick guard was, from where I sit it looks this way anyways, nailed at the upper corner and the two points, then a screw into the bridge.

Were the pins staggered because it allowed a narrower neck? or just to be different, I wonder.

Looks like waterman27's "Flat 4" could use a nut job, a fretboard scrubbing and a tuner retro-grade. Other than that, I'd say it's a fine specimin worth playing.

If you are really retentive about restoring it, the tuner upgrade may have required opening the tuner holes and therefore forever removing the peraloid overlay which would be oompossible to replicate. Also, careful measuring and some machine shop work could restore the floating saddle, fixed bridge. But since the refurb might not be transparent, it might not be worth the cost.

Archived