Gibson Brands Forums

Who has an EL-00?

JefferySmith

I've been looking at this model. Don't want a big dreadnought. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I've got one and have posted several times about it if you want to use the search feature. It's a very unique little box: it doesn't have the richness or power of a good dread (though you'd be surprised how much volume it produces). Its limitation is its strength: it has an old-timey, boxy sound perfectly suited for blues and old folk. It's also good fingerpicked. The small body is quite comfortable, and it's an easy guitar to get comfortable with in a big arm chair or something.

The neck isn't super-wide, like a guitar aimed toward fingerpickers exclusively, but there's some additonal room on the nut to respace the strings if you want them further apart.

Mine was built in China, and has a factory code I've never seen on other Chinese built Epis (N, I think. I'm not at home this minute to check).

The build and finish quality is good, but I did have to rub the rosewood bridge with some linseed oil a couple of times, as it was quite dry. It comes with excellent mini Grovers. If I have any complaint about it cosmetically, it's that the pickguard is sort of thin (though aftermarket replacements are available).

It comes with a plastic nut and saddle, if I remember correctly. I swapped out the saddle on mine for bone.

Hope that helps.

Red 333

[...] It's a very unique little box: it doesn't have the richness or power of a good dread (though you'd be surprised how much volume it produces). Its limitation is its strength: it has an old-timey' date=' boxy sound perfectly suited for blues and old folk. It's also good fingerpicked. The small body is quite comfortable, and it's an easy guitar to get comfortable with in a big arm chair or something.

The neck isn't super-wide, like a guitar aimed toward fingerpickers exclusively, but there's some additonal room on the nut to respace the strings if you want them further apart. [/quote']

"Red" is 100% right. I've played one, and I was surprised how good it sounded.

He's also right, when he says the neck is pretty narrow. Some will like that, but I prefer something a bit wider...

Try one out! I have a 00-sized guitar and love it, but it's a very different feel than a dreadnought. I find my dread to be much more comfortable, but I would never get rid of my "little" guitar.

Thanks for the replies guys. I may stop in at the local GC to see if they have any 00-sized guitars. My father had an 00-sized Martin (with a narrow neck), and the action on it was extremely high. Best not to buy sight-unseen. I have read a few reviews of the Epiphone, and one from MF had very high action, a bowed neck, etc. that needed some major tuning up.

They have less sustain, which means a bluesy voice. If that's your cup of tea, then go for it. It will never compete, volume wise, with a Dreadnaught. It is what it is, a small, some would say parlor sized guitar, great for plinking around at home and easy to get your arms around.

They have less sustain' date=' which means a bluesy voice. If that's your cup of tea, then go for it. It will never compete, volume wise, with a Dreadnaught. It is what it is, a small, some would say parlor sized guitar, great for plinking around at home and easy to get your arms around.[/quote']

I used to have a Texan, and it had a bigger sound than my Martin D35. I'm looking for a smaller guitar and the smaller sound doesn't bother me. I would like a Gibson Robert Johnson model, but too many $$$.

Archived