Gibson Brands Forums

EMPEROR II or BROADWAY - HELP !!!!!

YVANHOE1

Hello, New to this forum, I'd like to have some advice about the guitar I could buy a few days ago !

Advertised as a JOE PASS but w/o pickguard I wonder if this EPI is an Emperor II or a Broadway as the pick-up switch is located on the cutaway.

As you can see the tailpiece is an Emperor II one. The truss rod cover says GIBSON, seriel number is 9062497.

I want to keep this guitar and need to complete it with a matching pickguard, should I buy a Joe Pass or a neutral black one ??

What about the tail piece ??

Any idea where I can find original EPIPHONE parts ???

Lot of questions !

Thanks for your precious HELP

Yvan

PICS ARE HERE : http://www.yvanhoe.com/EPI

your guitar was in made korea june 1989. it looks in excellent shape.it is a emperor not a broadway. earlier guitars had the selector switch on the bottom part of the cutaway. the tailpiece is original. as for parts just google epiphone guitar parts . i hope this helps you. i think a black pickguard would look nice.

Hello' date=' New to this forum, I'd like to have some advice about the guitar I could buy a few days ago !

Advertised as a JOE PASS but w/o pickguard I wonder if this EPI is an Emperor II or a Broadway as the pick-up switch is located on the cutaway.

As you can see the tailpiece is an Emperor II one. The truss rod cover says GIBSON, seriel number is 9062497.

[/quote']

It is an Emperor II made by Samick..a beautiful ES-175 type of archtop. Yours being a natural has flamed maple

back and sides. The Emp IIs came with the 3-way selector in the cutaway. The Joe Pass, is almost identical

except they moved the 3-way to the upper treble bout ES-175 style. Joe Pass was an ES-175 player

until he started to endorse these Epiphone Emperors with his signature pickguard and preference for

having the 3-way selector in that location.

I had a couple of them, they are Emperor IIs. Mine were both sunbursts. The '91 is similar to yours with

the 3-way in the cutaway and the '95 JP has it in the upper bout.

I want to keep this guitar and need to complete it with a matching pickguard, should I buy a Joe Pass or a neutral black one ??

The OEM ones tended to rattle, so most players probably took it off and never replaced it. Also some didn't like the

cheesy look of the autographed pickguard.

One of mine ('91-Samick EMPII had "Gibson "on the trc) did come with a tortoishell coloured pickguard.

Tthe JP (with Joe Pass script on the trc), did not have one, so I made my own out of ebony and put the

gold coloured "e" on it. Being more solid and wood, it doesn't rattle.

I think the black pickguard looks good on mine.

EmpII-JoePass.jpg

What about the tail piece ??

Tailpiece rattled and buzzed a lot. I replaced both of them with the GFS Jazz tailpiece. It would look really

nice with the second version of the ES-175 tp (with the diamonds in the string bar) but those are Gibson

proprietary and very hard to find.

Any idea where I can find original EPIPHONE parts ???

E-Bay is probably the best place. You can try Epiphone as well, but these being older guitars, they

probably don't keep those parts anymore...the pickguard. Everything else is aftermarket and probably

depending on your financial resources might be better upgraded.

carverman wrote

It would look really nice with the second version of the ES-175 tp (with the diamonds in the string bar) but those are Gibson proprietary and very hard to find.

That's actually the original tailpiece design for the ES-175 when it was first introduced in 1949. It was replaced by the "zigzag" version (like the one on the Epi version) in 1957. The original diamond version was restored in 1969.

As for pickguards, if you want an original bound tortoiseshell, your best bet may be eBay or on this forum, if someone has removed their pickguard and would be willing to sell it to you. Bound pickguards are quite expensive as aftermarket items, and as far as I know Epiphone does not sell replacement pickguards separately.

The Joe Pass signature is easily removed with Goo Gone, for those who don't like it.

Carverman's wooden pickguard is an elegant option, too.

Hi Yvanhoe1

You might enjoy this, it is footage of Joe Pass actually playing an Epiphone Joe Pass, to fulfill his contract regarding his signature model, apparently he also used the Epiphone as a traveling guitar. He played a Gibson ES-175 normally. Look where the switch is situated on the man's Epiphone Joe Pass :-)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nODlYylv2E[/YOUTUBE]

Your guitar looks in beautiful condition. Pickguards are expensive I am looking to get bespoke Baltic Amber for my Joe pass and Levin 335. As I say expensive....

you might want to look at:

Pickguard Heaven

also some nice tailpieces at GFS

GFS tailpieces

I may consider selling my original Joe Pass pickguard once I have the new Baltic Amber one, and I also want to switch my Joe Pass inscribed truss-rod cover, for one with just the Epiphone logo, if anyone knows where I can get one.

Archived