Gibson Brands Forums

Human being at Epiphone

pattyrash

what if telephones were actually already all computer programs.

and there were only human beings in the factorys to do the work.

and we were all just serving the machine and we didn't even know it.

And they even have an Indian accent program whose sense of humor is warped so you always get a guy who

sounds Indian, but claims his name is Ralph.

oh wait, that's the matrix movie.

never mind.

ok.. I've been in the shop all morning and machine noise has made me dizzy.

.. er.

tWANG

What was the question? What was the answer :P

I got an Epi Emperor (long scale length and headstock), and found that the windings on the D string from my normal brand didn't reach to the tuner peg. The core was long enough, but not the windings.

He sent me back a recommendation to use Gibson L5 strings. So I bought a few packs mail order and he was right - the D string's windings are plenty long. And while they were more expensive, they sound great, much better than the GHS I was using.

what if telephones were actually already all computer programs.

and there were only human beings in the factorys to do the work.

and we were all just serving the machine and we didn't even know it.

And they even have an Indian accent program whose sense of humor is warped so you always get a guy who

sounds Indian' date=' but claims his name is Ralph.

oh wait, that's the matrix movie.

never mind.

ok.. I've been in the shop all morning and machine noise has made me dizzy.

.. er.TWANG[/quote']

Pat, I don't think you're that far off. I'm beginning to think that The Matrix is all too real....

Well I have been posting questions and other rants about finding a bridge for my Sheri. The pecular size (79mm) makes it impossible to find an after market bridge. One person had a clever cure. Drill holes in a replacement bridge. Nice idea. I am not doing power tools. So I called Epiphone support. (thanks for the number) and a new one is on the way. No charge. Hopefully it wont rattle. I am reluctant to use loctite, nail polish or plumbers tape. But if the new one rattles....

Great forum and thanks to all for input. I will keep you posted.

Ron yeah! It seems like there's an un-human system of some kind... just seems to roll through history

on it's own!

I guess we've all got a little robot in us so it probably counts up somehow..

patty. it was stupid of them to discontinue that bridge.. either that or stupid to choose it in the first place..

they sure are hard to find.

wdmusic used to have some.. I think they ran out of gold though. so..

good on gibson for getting you one!

I got an Epi Emperor (long scale length and headstock)' date=' and found that the windings on the D string from my normal brand didn't reach to the tuner peg. The core was long enough, but not the windings.

[/quote']

Ok. Can I just rant for a minute? The frequensator tailpiece (which is on the Epi) was designed decades ago TO SELL STRINGS!!! Only Epiphone strings (I dont think Gibson owned them then) would do.

Fast forward to summer 2010. I bought an Epi Emp Regent. Thomastic Infelds George benson 14s fit. It is close but they do fit. Anyway. I went to home depot and bought 1) 2ft of 1/8th inch brass rod and 2) 6-32 die.

Cost me less than 10$. I have in my workshop a hacksaw and a vice. Nothing too fancy yet.

Made two new forks (so they match). But I took 2 inches off the bass side.

No impact on tone. No impact on playability. Took me about an hour including removing and restringing but then again I rushed it. A little brasso at the end doesnt hurt so the the forks match the rest of the hardware.

End result? Here is a pic.

frequensator.jpg

Here's the deal.. you can feel a little difference between longer and shorter.. it's physics.. there's a difference in the tension.

but..

many have remarked over the years that the frequensator was backwards. should be shorter and longer on opposite sides!

Me, I dunno.. string through body is suppposed to give more sustain than a top load bridge or with a whammy or stop tail..

does it?

set neck versus bolt.. just advertising?

I tend to think that sometimes any of these is a good idea.. and sometimes it just doesn't add up.. or matter to the player.

sam.. great job.. looks good!

Ok. Can I just rant for a minute? The frequensator tailpiece (which is on the Epi) was designed decades ago TO SELL STRINGS!!! Only Epiphone strings (I dont think Gibson owned them then) would do.

Fast forward to summer 2010. I bought an Epi Emp Regent. Thomastic Infelds George benson 14s fit. It is close but they do fit. Anyway. I went to home depot and bought 1) 2ft of 1/8th inch brass rod and 2) 6-32 die.

Cost me less than 10$. I have in my workshop a hacksaw and a vice. Nothing too fancy yet.

Made two new forks (so they match). But I took 2 inches off the bass side.

No impact on tone. No impact on playability. Took me about an hour including removing and restringing but then again I rushed it. A little brasso at the end doesnt hurt so the the forks match the rest of the hardware.

End result? Here is a pic.

That's awesome!

How's come you have a P90 on that unit?

Mine has a floating Epi PUP attached to the neck....

Ok.. I should have mentioned that I use 14s flatwound. Not a lot of bending going on. So if the feel of the strings is different with the extra 2 inches I wouldnt have noticed. Bob Benedetto goes out of his way in his book to say that feel is only dictated by the scale length, not the total string length. I am an idiot but I will disagree with him.

The pickup is from Jason Lollar. It is a p-90 style coil wrapped like a jazzmaster pickup (magnets inside the coil instead) This makes for a thinner pickup that can be top mounted without cutting the top. It sounds good but it took a while for me to try different pots/caps to find what I liked best. Only downside is non-adjust poles.

but did you buy the "classic-tone' date=' high-sustain, voodoo mojo" brass rod?[biggrin] [/quote']

Well.. I was thinking:

I have to get the 6$ I spent on the die back somehow. Buy another few rods of brass and sell them on ebay to the guys from the 70s who think brass is tonally superior [blush]

(actually I have brass saddles on my tele and prefer them to the stock steel saddles).

Guest icantbuyafender
This guy was very pleasant and helpful to me with a question I had about an Epi Emperor:

Benton Cummings

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

Benton.Cummings@gibson.com

Benton is possibly the best employee gibson customer service has.

Seriously.

Archived