Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery Guitar!

benlane

This is a flat top Epi A-12 that I'm in dire need of information on. There is no history that I can find on this model.

"Epi" label on headstock

20 frets. Inlay on the 1,3,5,7,9,12,15, & 17th frets

Model No. A-12

Serial No. 984241

"Another quality product from Norlin"

"Lincolnwood, IL 60646"

"Made in Taiwan"

photo.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo2.jpg

What is this?

-and-

How much is it worth?

Epi, Epiphone A-12, Epi Acoustic, Epiphone A, A-12 Acoustic, Flat top A-12, Acoustic A-12,

Norlin was the parent company of Gibson, and Epiphone, from 1966 until 1986. Anything produced between those years was a "product of Norlin." A similar phrase will be found on Gibson acoustics of that era, starting around 1970.

We've seen a few of these "Epi" instruments in the past, acoustic and electric. If I remember correctly, though I'm certainly not an expert, they were sold primarily in Europe.

[EDIT] A source I just looked at says Norlin bought Gibson in 1969. I was mistaken about that part.

The model A-12 appeared only in the January 15, and June 1, 1979 Epiphone catalogs as an "Epi Student Guitar", part of the "A-Series Folk Models" that included the A-10.

The retail price was $159.95 for the A-12, and $129.95 for the A-10. Both models were available in "N" (natural) finish only. I see no other mention of these guitars before or after 1979.

According to Epiphone - The Complete History by Walter Carter (Gibson historian), page 80:

Also in or around 1980, a new sub-budget line of acoustic flat-tops appeared briefy. Bearing the "Epi" brand (not Epiphone, just Epi), these were made by the Marina company in Taiwan, in the city of Chaunyin, just outside of Taoyuan. Tim Shaw recalls, "The quality was so bad nobody was willing to put Epiphone on it. It was just Epi. Silkscreened on. They were real pigs. The factory is outside on a mountain in Taipei. We could talk about good climates in which to build guitars. That would not be my first choice.

These guitars were so bad that CMI had to send Bill Nothdorft to Seattle to set up a final assembly facility. "They came in needing final adjustment anywhere from straightening reverse bows in the neck to whatever happens to an electric and acoustic guitar," Nothdorft says.

That being said, it looks like a decent basic flat top. Many of the current line of Epis still come in from overseas needing final assembly and basic setup work. As long as it plays well enough, just enjoy it for what it is, and don't worry about it. Just don't expect it to become part of your retirement fund collection.

Cheers, Brian

"Another Quality Product From Norlin" - that is pretty funny.

For me, the Norlin period actually begins in 1965 when Arnie Berlin (the "in" in Norlin) took over CMI. For the fiirst time in Gibson's history a bean counter was running the company instead of a guitar guy. In 1965 Gibson got high speed conveyor belt finishing systems, automatic neck machines that turned out a pencil thin neck and reduced the headstock pitch from 17 degrees to 14 degrees, and other stuff like that. No wonder that Ted McCarty went a walking in 1966.

In 1983, Norlin was bought by Piezo which immediately stopped production of all but one division and put Gibson on the chopping block.

• 1 year later...

This is indeed made FOR the the MARKETERS of Epiphone guitars. Note the Lincolnwood label and the "Made in Taiwan". This was not made by the MAKERS of Epiphones, Matsumoku, of the Norlin era. I do not know the name of the manufacturer of these guitars.

I'm not sure where these were marketed, but I would say they were constructed every bit as well as Matsumoku Epiphones. The difference is where they were marketed. Either by country or may have been sold into 'Exclusive" territories of Epiphone dealers into other music stores or maybe other general, retail stores. Since these weren't branded as Epiphones, they would not step on the Epiphone dealers' contracts by allowing the hardware store across the street to sell them. This is all guess and supposition.

In what country did you find this one?

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure where these were marketed, but I would say they were constructed every bit as well as Matsumoku Epiphones.

I recall seeing these for sale in the US, and they were rather mediocre guitars. The Japanese Epiphone acoustics were a shade better, but not really that good either.

Learn something new everyday. I've never heard of norlin myself

They were formed after Ecuadiran Company,Ltd. purchased the remnants of Chicago Music Instrument co., owners of Gibson, Epiphone and other music instrument lines. ECL makers of cement and beer, and oh, yeah, guitars. Great makings for cornering the garage band market! [thumbup]

Archived