Gibson Brands Forums

Do anyone know this Epiphone Flying V w/floyd rose

fastback

Hi,

Does anyone has some info on this Epi of the 80s??

Wood, PU,...????

Serialnumber is sticker on back of neck plate : 9081xxx

There is another sticker on the bottom of the neck : FLY-V-MBK

There is a letter "i" on the plastic Pickup case

She has a Floyd Rose tremolo all original

regards

Robert

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

-I don't have much info, but a buddy of mine had the same one. The p'ups were generic import p'ups and didn't seem that great to me, but the rest of the guitar seemed decent. They were kind of like generic EMG Selects. I played it a few times but that was it. Need to get another p'up adjustment screw for that neck p'up. Sorry I couldn't provide you with any more info. It's been at least 14-15 years since I saw that guitar.

L8R,

Matt

??[biggrin] But the bridge says MFG. FLOYD ROSE right on it.

Thats really weird...because its a Bendmaster. I'll be honest, though. I dont really know anything about the Bendmasters, other than taking one off of my S-500 to replace with a Floyd.

Who knows? Maybe FR licensed them for awhile or something.

Here are a few 'not-so-obvious' differences between this bridge and a Floyd design.

- This bridge is a single locking system with string-through block design. Although FR does make a single locking system (FR Speed Loader), I dont recall a string-through bock design, ever.

- The bridge posts on mine were 1/8" narrower from post to post than a Floyd. Doesnt seem like much until you try to install a Floyd Rose.

- This bridge has bridge screws instead of the bolt/sleeve design typical of Floyd Rose. Also, the bridge screws are much narrower than the bolts on a Floyd.

- The lock nut system (although it will work in tandem with a FR bridge) is smaller in general than it's Floyd counterpart. As well as the screw holes to the neck wont line up with a FR locknut holes.

Obviously (telling by the pics) this bridge was licensed and possibly produced by Floyd Rose at some point, but I dont think its an actual Floyd design. I've seen many of these (including mine) that have absolutely no markings on them at all.

I've been seaching endlessly for info about this particular bridge design, but to no avail. This thread adds another puzzle to the mystery.

• 2 weeks later...
The bridge isn a Floyd. It is a Westone Bendmaster. That is all I know.

I can complicate this discussion more. My BC Rich bridge looks exactly the same from the top and I thought I had a Bendmaster FT. I also heard from some that Epi's used Bendmaster at one time also. Problem is the sustain block on mine is different than the FT according to the Westone guys I've talked to. Of course I'm looking for a new sustain block for my bridge.

PICT0192.jpg

PICT0193.jpg

I've been frustrated trying to properly identify this bridge.

• 5 months later...

No, it is not a Floyd Rose. It is a Bennder Tremolo. It says "Floyd Rose" or "Lic. By..." or whatever because in the 80's Floyd Rose went sue-happy on anything with a locking system. The one in the pic says "manufactured under Floyd Rose patents". Which means that Epiphone had to pay FR a fee to use any trem with a locking design as well as put their name on it.

If you look up any articles on the history of Floyd Rose, you will never ever find one of these trems listed.

Also, I have one of these trems that I wouldnt mind getting rid of if anyone wants it. It is missing a bridge saddle and possibly the trem arm. I might have the arm, but I'm not sure, so I'll just say that I dont. PM me if interested.

Mine was mfgd before FR went sue-crazy and has no markings on it whatsoever.

Be happy it is not a Floyd Rose. Have you ever tried to intonate one of those things? I know music stores that will not touch them if they come in for an adjustment.

Yeah, its a major pain in the butt. I use the "close enough, I'm really a bass player" method.

However, any music store that is afraid to touch a Floyd is no place I would ever take my guitar for repairs or adjustments. Yeah, they can be scary to a noob or a waste of time or headache for others, but there is nothing inherently dangerous or or potentially damaging about them to prevent a luthier or guitar tech to learn how to adjust, repair or deal with them in general. Thats just laziness.

Archived