Gibson Brands Forums

Grover vs. Standard Epi Tuner Question

mbrooks0711

Hello all, I have a question for some of you people who have more experience modding instruments. Okay here's the situation; found a '98 Epi LP Standard i(Unsung Korea make) in a local pawn shop for $250. It's dinged up but it is set-up perfect and the pickups sound great. It was upgraded using nice grover tuners, but the person who put them on was NOT qualified to do so. Functionally they are okay, but their angles are so far off that it is noticeable. The guitar originally came with the vitage green tuners (you can see the previous holes and finish marks) and if I got it I would want to get those grovers off and put back on the vintage style. My only thing is that I know that sometimes people talk about reaming out holes when new tuners go in and I really can't tell myself if that has been done. My question is when the previous owner made the switch would they have had to ream the holes to get the grovers to fit? Or will it simply be as easy as taking the old tuners off and putting in a factory original set? Thanks in advance for the help everybody.

Mark

The Grovers that came stock on my EPIs were for 10mm

holes. I'm assuming this is also the case for the git you refer to.

Sad that the previous "modder" didn't get the tuners straight.

Now, I ebayed two sets of "Gibson Deluxe" vintage tulip tuners

for mine, were a straight drop in, from a store called the

"Stratosphere" (link to a current set for sale follows). The only

sure-fire way to get the current hole size is to remove tuner and

measure hole diameter...

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Gibson-Deluxe-USA-Les-Paul-TUNERS-Tuning-Pegs-Chrome_W0QQitemZ360223652538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item53df00baba

Hello all' date=' I have a question for some of you people who have more experience modding instruments. Okay here's the situation; found a '98 Epi LP Standard i(Unsung Korea make) in a local pawn shop for $250. It's dinged up but it is set-up perfect and the pickups sound great. It was upgraded using nice grover tuners, but the person who put them on was NOT qualified to do so. Functionally they are okay, but their angles are so far off that it is noticeable. The guitar originally came with the vitage green tuners (you can see the previous holes and finish marks) and if I got it I would want to get those grovers off and put back on the vintage style. My only thing is that I know that sometimes people talk about reaming out holes when new tuners go in and I really can't tell myself if that has been done. My question is when the previous owner made the switch would they have had to ream the holes to get the grovers to fit? Or will it simply be as easy as taking the old tuners off and putting in a factory original set? Thanks in advance for the help everybody.

Mark[/quote']

The Grover hole will be larger than the original vintage sized holes. If you want to return it to the vintage Kluson style tuners, you have two options.

A) You can buy a set of Kluson style tuners and a set of these adapters.

:) You can buy a set of vintage style tuners that fit the larger holes like these.

The Grover hole will be larger than the original vintage sized holes. If you want to return it to the vintage Kluson style tuners

I have some Grover Kluson Style that are drop in replacements for the Rotomatics. They say "Grover Deluxe" instead of "Gibson Deluxe"

Archived