Gibson Brands Forums

Milbert amps...What do you think?

Dave

I'm interested to actually see and play one of these. I'm a little dubious of the auto-everything part though to be quite honest with you. It's a dc coupled amp with a fast switching power supply most likely,but it's still got me a little baffled as to the will run any impedance load from infinity to a dead short........that one just doesn't sound right to me?[cool] With traditional amps as you probably know a tube amp will tend to be forgiving of an impedance miss match but if you run it with no load....bye bye output tansformer. And a SS amp will run with no load but run it with a lower than spec'd load and it's bye bye output transistors.

The link also says that you can pop tubes in and out under full load or idle without blowing anything.

With SS amps, no load means no current draw on the output transistors. We've always heard that if you turn on your amp with no speakers connected, you will blow the output. The bias resistors keep the output from going into runaway, so I have always wondered why theoretically the output transistors wouldn't be just fine, at least for a short period. Today's ss output circuits are monitored with thermistors, so they probably will shut down under overcurrent conditions. 30 years ago, that wasn't the case.

Here's a discussion on the Home Recording forum about that.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=277844

Archived