Gibson Brands Forums

sheraton replacement bridge info discovery and advice from modders please!

Noijj

Hi All,

Just in case anyone was struggling (I know I did!) WD Music in the UK have the Samick 72mm replacement bridges in stock, chrome only. I bought all new chrome hardware for mine. The Samick Bridge, a Gotoh Stop Piece, Grover Imperial tuners. It's part of a big mod I'm doing. Replacing everything on my Sheraton blonde lefty. Kent Armstrong pickups - Kentron (filtertron) in the neck and a PAF in the bridge (12 posts to match the Kentron) in nickel finish. All new electrics (CTS pots, orange drops, switchcraft toggle and jack). Cream toggle and PUP rings and bone nut. Should look awesome and god, I hope it sounds good too, it's cost a bomb! Any reasurring feedback much appreciated as I'm on tenderhooks until it gets here and I can hook it up!

Questions

Coil tap - done it? Worth it? How? What's it sound like? push/pull or mini switch?

Finish - any advice on how to get all the little scratches out of the finish? They can only really be seem in the light but I know they are there!

Thanks all - very excellent forum.

Noijj

Coil tap - done it, and it's fun, but not a necessity unless you really need a twangy sound on that guitar. I generally prefer a beefy tone, and get out the strat or tele for twang. Seymour Duncan website has the wiring diagrams.

Finish - Lots of schools of thought on this. Some folks use Meguiar's car polish and elbow grease. Otherwise a good quality guitar polish (Martin, Gibson) and elbow grease. A pro luthier can put it on the buffer if you're really a basket case about it.

Thanks again Brian. Car polish it is then, when I take all the hardware off. Coil tap is a 'nice to have' only I guess. I might as well go the whole hog while I'm at it though, right? I'm sure it would differ from my tele sound, warmed up by the wood no doubt. Is coil tap possible with a little toggle switch easily enough as opposed to a push/pull pot?

with humbucks I like the series/parallel on the push pull rather than dual/single coil.

for one thing. it's very strat like but still humbucking.. so thinner single coil sound but quiet!

but.. the push pull pot would be a real drag getting in, if it fit..

so I'd prefer to use a mini switch or two with that guitar.

(I have a korean sheri, too)

I use 3pDt on my epi lp studio.. so I have all three.. single series humbuck and parallel humbuck.

WD is the last place to carry the samick style fat bridge.. and they've been out of gold for ages.

There are others that can be made to fit without much hassle.

I use the 12 pole KA in my epi lp bridge.. with a GFS with 12 poles in the neck..

the KA is better for sure.

I like to use the stewmac.com swirl and haze remover.. glosses it up nice and hides tons of marks.

works fairly well on pickguards, too.

post pics or it didn't happen!

Hi Twang,

Glad you chimed in. Your posts have been an inspiration as I've researched into many nights regarding my Sheraton mod ideas before joining recently.

Pardon my ignorance, I understand that a coil tap, making it single coil, would make it sound strat-like but I don't understand what parrallel/series is or what it might sound like?

Glad I went with the KA's. I'll post pics once done I promise, only ordered the parts today, gulp! If they get here before the weekend I should have it done by mid next week hopefully.

Also, are you still making pick guards for folks? I might be interested.

thanks,

Nigel.

but.. the push pull pot would be a real drag getting in' date=' if it fit..

so I'd prefer to use a mini switch or two with that guitar.

[/quote']

The P/P pot will keep your guitar original. Fitting a miniswitch requires you to drill holes in the guitar, and is as much a drag to fit as the P/P pot.

Personally I think a coiltap(a coilsplit really) is sounding like a crappy single coil. I much prefer a Parallel/series/phase switch. Much more usable.

Archived