Gibson Brands Forums

Book heads up and guitar books in general

AlanH

All UK forum members might be interested in a nice little coffee table book I picked up for a mere £5 at Dobbies (yes, you read that right - Dobbies):

It's called 'Electric Guitar Handbook' and is written by Alan Ratcliffe.

It's an A4 sized paperback with 160 pages and lots of nice colour photos. I think it's a great introduction for the novice on guitar anatomy, amps and choosing a guitar but there are also good introductory chapters for those less new to the hobby on topics like effects, gigging and recording. There are also good sections on the history of the electric guitar and on famous players, their gear and essential listening/viewing.

Don't expect it to be a comprehensive guide but, if you can find one in your local Dobbies it's well worth a fiver.

Here's a review of it:-

http://www.ratcliffe.co.za/books/eghbreview.shtml

Note- mine has a different cover to the one shown on this link.

Just as an aside, what books do you all have for your own reference purposes?

For music self tuition I like the Hal Leonard publishers books.

I also have the two Dan Erlewine set up/repair books:-

-How to make your electric guitar play great

-Guitar Player Repair Guide.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitars-Motown-Superstars-Dennis-Coffey/dp/0472113992

0472113992.jpg

http://www.denniscoffeysite.com/

Review

"Guitarist Dennis Coffey was in that elite band of musicians who helped to create the Motown Sound."

---Edwin Starr

". . . it's Dennis Coffey's personal story that's most gripping: the journey from Motown, to Billboard's Top Ten, to working the line at Chevrolet."

---Susan Whitall, Detroit News

Product Description

Unlike the solo stars whose names appeared on the albums, Motown studio musicians usually stood in the shadows. Berry Gordy held a tight rein on his musicians, forbidding them from playing for other record companies, and leaving their names off the credits.

In Guitars, Bars, and Motown Superstars, author and guitarist Dennis Coffey tells how he slipped Gordy's draconian rules, going on to success as both a Motown musician and a million-selling solo artist. He offers a fascinating backstage look at the Detroit, L.A., and New York music scenes in the '60s and '70s, with side trips to some of the smokiest clubs and funkiest studios where the Motown sound was born. Coffey is credited with creating a lot of that sound, including the famous guitar intro to the Temptations' classic "Cloud Nine." He played on hundreds of Motown albums, and introduced such innovations as the WahWah pedal into the Motown recording studio. Most recently, he appeared on the documentary Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Dennis Coffey is a guitarist, record producer, and writer. He played guitar on countless hit records during the 60s and 70s, and also played with the famous Motown studio band the Funk Brothers.

I agree with Joesamick.

Standing In The Shadows, is a great documovie about the Funk Brothers,

the band behind all that great music.

Books?

1. How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great

2. Guitar Player Repair Guide

3. Fret Work Step by Step

4. Guitar Electronics for Musicians

5. Guitar Finishing Step by Step

Very informative stuff. If I was to recommend one of these it would be:

Guitar Player Repair Guide.

I think this one touches on all of the subjects with more than

enough information for the average player.

Very informative stuff. If I was to recommend one of these it would be:

Guitar Player Repair Guide.

I think this one touches on all of the subjects with more than

enough information for the average player.

+1 on Guitar Player Repair Guide

Sambooka' date=' do you mean the Haynes manuals? If so I got them for Strat and Les Paul too - excellent and easy to read and follow.

[/quote']

Dunno.. I dont see Haynes on it (I have a few of their Car manuals) But it is the same principle.

In Canada they are from Voyageur Press (The Gibson Les Paul Handbook - Balmer).

A lot of repetion (cuting and pasting a paragraph in multiple chapters) and in the tele book I cant for the life of me understand what he means by stray capacitance but I digress. I am somewhat knowledgable and I still learned a couple of little tricks.

the Erlewine book is great if you actually want to do repairs. The Handbooks are strickly setup based.

I have quite a few books that i am going to start posting reviews on my website when I have time to write them.

Mostly Tube amp books but since I have the guitar books.. why not?

EDIT: Funny thing. Reading through the LP book he recommends DeOxit for pot cleaning but WD40 for Tele pot-cleaning. What does he have against Tele players??? LOL

Archived