Gibson Brands Forums

replacement bridge for prophecy sg gx

Nuevededos

Hello everyone. Just signed up in this forum.

I'm about to order a Proph. SG GX, and already want to know my options for a bridge upgrade.

I'm trying to decide between these three:

Schaller bridge

Schaller rolling bridge

Graphtech Stringsaver

Problem is, I don't know if any of these will fit the existing bridge bushings, including their inner thread.

Any info will be welcome.

N.

I just ordered the guitar.

Well, thing is, I'm going to mod the electronics and go for chromed hardware. Most of the parts I already have from other mods, but I still need a chromed bridge.

Local shops do not carry the Prophecy (I've ordered online), so I can't take measurements first hand.

I still have to wait six days for the guitar to arrive, and I'm outGASsing thru my ears already!!!!! :)

So, post spacing and diameter for the original SG Proph bridge would be very useful. Also firsthand advice on brand compatibility, pros and cons, etc.

Peace,

n.

Hello everyone. Just signed up in this forum.

I'm about to order a Proph. SG GX' date=' and already want to know my options for a bridge upgrade.

I'm trying to decide between these three:

Schaller bridge

Schaller rolling bridge

Graphtech Stringsaver

Problem is, I don't know if any of these will fit the existing bridge bushings, including their inner thread.

Any info will be welcome.

N.

I am not sure why you want to change the parts on a guitar that already has quality components installed on it. Like Paru said I would bang it around for awhile before modifying an axe that is already stage ready. IMO Ask Midiman what he thinks he gigs with his Prophecy Les Paul GX and it has the same components.

Well ... he didn't ask, but here my 2 cents anyway ...

Both my Les Paul and SG Prophecy GX guitars are bone stock. I wouldn't change a thing about them ... not quite sure why anyone would ... BUT, if you don't care for the gold hardware, then I say go for it. It's your axe, after all.

I guess I just wonder why you would spend the dough to buy this considerably higher priced guitar just to mod the hell out of it. The Dirty Fingers pups are available to install in a less expensive model. Maybe it's the finish that grabbed you ... it is pretty stunning.

Either way ... be happy ... make it your own! Congrats in advance ... be sure to post pictures!

Jim

Thanks for the info guys.

Well, this is the itty bitty mod I plan to do:

prophecysgcustomcustom.jpg

Also add Schaller straplocks. All my straps have them mounted so I can swap between guitars.

Of course this is a Photoshop, and I won't get a drill near the guitar until I've assembled and tested the new wiring on an external board.

Originally I planned to do the mod on a Ibanez S320, but the body is too thin and there's no space to work.

Hope you like it. I do.

Peace,

N.

I could instead mod a g-400, adding an extension to the fretboard to reach 24 frets. Since it already has four tone/vol pots the routing job would be easier. But I'd need to ask my luthier for the fretting, and the guy is the purist, obsessive type. I'm afraid my body parts would end in several garbage bags in a landfill. [crying]

Peace,

N.

Archived