Gibson Brands Forums

€piphone CORONET 1964 (NTMGSD)

cosmitron

cosmitron--congrats on the guitar!!! sure sounds good and you sure great playing it--love the videos---great lookin and soundin guitar--you don't see many of 'em--I have a '64 cherry wilshire and just got the '66 reissue in cherry--that color of yours looks great!!!!!

Humble Pie

so that guitar in the video is a modded out les paul Jr.!

GIBSON LES PAUL JUNIOR

image014.jpg

A slab bodied mahogany guitar - a simple guitar with a great hard sound, a very ‘rock and roll’ guitar, apparently given to Steve by a fan. Another small guitar, easy to play and control, and is also very light.

Again, like the telecaster, this was modified in a whimsical way; the original scratch plate was removed and replaced by the white scratch plate of his Dwight, causing confusion in the identification of these guitars. (N.B. The Junior has the jack plug on the side of the guitar!)

EPIPHONE DWIGHT

image017.jpg

To all intents and purposes an identical guitar to the junior above, this was an Epiphone Coronet made under licence to the Dwight Music shop in New York.

It had exactly the same hardware and electrics as the Gibson Junior, but was of thinner mahogany and this therefore affected the sound giving it a slightly more cutting sound.

This is the sound of Steve’s earlier Humble Pie days, a brash, braying sound. Listen to the opening of ‘I Don’t Need No Doctor’ to see what I mean!

Note that the jack plug socket, is on the front of the guitar. Also victim to a rather strange modification, the apparently home-made black scratch plate which extended along to the controls and jack socket.

Please lets get rid of the misidentification that is involved with this guitar now… IT IS NOT AN EPIPHONE CRESTWOOD!!

(Arguably, this Dwight is the most famous Humble Pie guitar icon, and it was stolen in the UK, as mentioned in the introduction, This is such a distinctive guitar,where is it now?)

found it all here http://www.humble-pie.net/rockon/features/html/steves_guitars.html

• 1 month later...

hey. i got an epiphone i believe to be the same as yours except mine diesnt have the symbol on the pick guard. it was the first guitar i got about 20 years ago. it still plays pretty well but missing the knobs and tremello bar. is there anywhere to get these "origional" parts?

thanks a bunch

• 2 months later...
hey. i got an epiphone i believe to be the same as yours except mine diesnt have the symbol on the pick guard. it was the first guitar i got about 20 years ago. it still plays pretty well but missing the knobs and tremello bar. is there anywhere to get these "origional" parts?

thanks a bunch

unearthing thread. :-

There's no replicas of the knobs, sadly. You would find them on Sears and Magnatone amps, they're commonly known as "Cheap Amp Barrel Knobs" or something. They were also seen on some Silvertone guitars, and though they're not accurate, there are similar looking knobs on the Danelectro reissue, well at ~15 feet distance. The tremolo bar used on several Coronet is the same "Vibrola" used on SG juniors, so it might fit yours.

Any pics of yours?

Super cool and tasty looking guitar! Love the vids too, thanks!

I will have to keep my eyes open for one of those! I just scored my own 60's treasure this week... an Ibanez Goldentone modeled after a Burns Bison (and Fender if you check out the headstock). Very fun guitars, especially when they are in playable condition. I don't care about collector value.... (although my wife and kids might someday). I like guitars I can play and enjoy rather than have sit in a case collecting dust. There is something very sexy about these 60's guitars..... maybe it is because I am a product of the 60's myself! [biggrin]

Nice Score!!!!

(Here is my "New" Old guitar.....)

Goldentone2-1.jpg

100_0675.jpg

Archived