Gibson Brands Forums

factory strings suspect ?

Tudor

:-s

I bought a new Epiphone Dot recently and have a problem with the G string. It just doesn't sound right even though it is in tune per the electronic tuner I use on my other guitar. Is it likely that the strings used on it at the factory could be dud ? What's the best make to replace them with ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Just use any set of 10's you prefer . I personally like Ernie Balls. All you are experiencing with your factory strings is they are probably old. Don't know where you've purchased the guitar from. It could have sat around some warehouse who knows how long.

Nothing to worry about. This is common. Unless you bought it from a full service Dealer. They normally replace the strings and set the guitar up. If you bought it from an online Major chain. That doesn't happen.

So just replace them with a brand you like.

:-s

I bought a new Epiphone Dot recently and have a problem with the G string. It just doesn't sound right even though it is in tune per the electronic tuner I use on my other guitar. Is it likely that the strings used on it at the factory could be dud ? What's the best make to replace them with ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

More than likely your intonation is out which is common on the G string using plain steel strings...!

This will clear up your problem 9 times out of 10...

17 guage nickle wound D'addario

Dizzy

If you mean the string sounds dead when you play then it probably is the string. If it's in tune when you tune the open string but out of tune when you play it may be that you need to adjust the intonation. As you're in England you might want to try Epiphone strings from Gear4Music. I bought some a while back (just to see what they were like really) and they seem to be about the same as Ernie Ball's. Good news is that they're only £3.00 a set and I read on another site that they're the same as Gibson branded strings but without the vacumn packaging.

I guess I am kind of lucky whenever I buy a new guitar at the local guitar shop, he gauges the strings on the guitar, because the nut is usually cut for those strings. He puts on a new set of my choosing and we together go over the set up, action etc. & then set the intonation and all it costs is the new set of strings. IMHO this should be done to every new guitar when you first get it.

Archived