Gibson Brands Forums

Please describe a Crestwood for me....please

adhok

Hi--I'm considering buying a 70's crestwood, 'sight unplayed' as it were, online. (I've been playing a sheraton II for years) Can somebody please describe the general sound and versatility of the pickups on one of those. i.e, loud or mellow, good for clean or just distortion. I play a mix of jazzy swing and jam rock ala allman bros. with some chicken picken thrown in. I'm moving away from my telecaster, I was looking as SG s for a while, but the epiphones look much cooler. I know people on here are in favor of epis, but some objective advice would be just the ticket. Thanks--Basically, I'm asking, If I pick up a crestwood, (70's, 2 full size humbucker version, dot inlays) Will it be versitile enough to play a range of warm and classic sounds, and will it feel like a gibson/epi ? And should I think about upgrading pickups?? Thanks, Thanks, Thanks,

Welcome to the Epi Forums[cool]

I have a Epi 72 ET-275 Crestwood, and it's a cool little axe. It has a mean tone and it weighs in at 9 lbs[blink]

Never thought of using it for jazz, but the neck pup can get some nice bluesy tones, and the bridge pup cuts like a knife. But it's a pretty versatile guitar.[cool]

Here's an image of mine

crestwood.jpg

http://www.warpdrivemusic.com/images/JohnM3/012110.html

Here's a link. (hope it works.) no serial number. The neck plate says "bolt on neck/Made in Japan" I think. I'm wondering if anyone has this type of guitar' date=' what the sound variety is like. What the pickups are like, etc. I always like the feel of epiphones... Thanks--this is a great forum.[/quote']

That takes me back down memory lane. It's an ET-290. I had that same guitar back in the 70's, I bought it new. I really can't remember much about it, but the thing I didn't like was the gold hardware, that is after it started to wear off. When it was new it looked really sharp. Other than that it was a nice guitar. I don't remember how it sounded, but then I had a Peavey Musician amp then, really loud and noisy. I loved the natural finish with the maple neck. I don't remember much about the neck profile, but I think it had a slim neck. I traded it in on a Gibson SG.

Those pics almost make me wish I still had it.

Archived