Gibson Brands Forums

Strings on a Les Paul

3pc

I ran across this video the other night and the way this guitar was strung really bothered me.

Does anyone know why someone would string a Les Paul this way? Is there some obscure reason for doing this or maybe the owner is just new to stringing a guitar? It seems to me this would be very bad for the strings and the finish on the tailstop.

Link to video

OK' date=' I see you fixed it.

Many players string their guitars this way believing that it increases sustain, or gives the strings a different feel. It's like a wraparound bridge.

[/quote']

+1 on this, I know that Lenny Kravitz uses this stringing method on his guitars with stop-bars.

-I wrap mine like this because I like the way my hand sits on the strings at the tailpiece. I never noticed any difference in tone or string feel' date=' it's just more comfortable for me.

L8R,

Matt[/quote']

Thanks guys. That clears things up for me. I would think the strings would wear or chip away at the chrome over time.

Btw Anthem, that is a gorgeous looking guitar. You anywhere in the southwest region of Ohio?

-Nope. I'm over here in Tuscarawas County, just south of Canton. The farthest SW I get in Ohio is usually to Hocking Hills, near Logan and Athens. What area in SW Ohio are you from? Oh, and thanks by the way. Sometimes I think of selling it, but then I take another look at her and change my mind.

L8R,

Matt

-Nope. I'm over here in Tuscarawas County' date=' just south of Canton. The farthest SW I get in Ohio is usually to Hocking Hills, near Logan and Athens. What area in SW Ohio are you from? Oh, and thanks by the way. Sometimes I think of selling it, but then I take another look at her and change my mind.

L8R,

Matt[/quote']

Glad to see someone from my old area. I grew up in Alliance! I know you didn't take that pic of you and your scooter very recently! LOL How's the music up there? Does your strings wrapped like that make much difference in the sound or just the feel?

-Hey there, Gearhead. I don't notice any difference in tone or action feel what so ever. The only thing that's different is the way my hand sits on the bridge. The strings are higher due to the top wrap, so my hand just sits there more comfortable. And yeah, I've been out to Alliance before. Might be going out there pretty soon to check out another car or truck at good ol' Wally Armour. My old work car has one or two tires in the grave right now, so it's time to start looking for a replacement.

L8R,

Matt

Archived