Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup swap?

Fred611281734228

So I was thinking....

When I buy my Sheraton, I will swap out the pups (Yes I have played on the stock pickups, and I don't really care for them) so are there any suggestions as to what pickups to place in there?

I was thinking of getting this, but I have no experience with them directly. I play mainly alternative, rock, classic rock, whatever. I am looking for versatile pickups, hopefully something kinda mellow in the neck, and something with some bite in the bridge.

Thanks

I'll throw in my $.02

I put a set of GFS Vintage 59s in my Sheraton, and I love them. The neck pup is mellow and not muddy and the bridge pup has all the bite I need without being ear piercingly bright. They were a huge improvement.

I was thinking about Gibson 57 Classic in the neck and 57 Classic plus in the bridge. No doubt these would sound better than my Vintage 59s, but they also cost 3xs as much.

If you are gonna change pups, change all of the pots, switch, jack and wiring. No sense gong to all that work and not changing the rest of this, it doesn't cost that much.

I would recommend CTS pots, Switchcraft switch and jack (make sure you get a jack with the long shaft) and braided, shielded wire.

Fred, lots of posts here on the forum on what pups people have put in their Sheri's if you search, but +1 on what jcwillow777 says which is exactly what I did with mine, GFS 59's etc. I later went for GFS p90-style instead of the humbuckers, but not because there was anything wrong with them, I just prefer p90's.

Archived