Gibson Brands Forums

'66 Ltd. Ed. G400

brobb42209

I just bought a new G-400 myself. I'm considering a few things.

Dressing the fret ends. Re-wiring the 3-way. Probably a new bridge pickup, I think it's a little weak. I'm thinking maybe gold hardware, maybe not. A new pickguard & pickup rings for sure. Changing the tuning keys to keystones or deco. That's about it. I won't do everything at once. Just gradual changes over the next year or so.

I don't think the nut is an issue. Mine seems fine. I had one slot that was tight so I widened it w/ a nut file. Tuning stability was an issue so I used a dremel tool to open up the slots on the peghead side & now it's fine.

The action on mine was way off out of the box - but I adjusted the neck, adjusted the bridge & the pick-up heights. Now everything is fine. These are all typical adjustments for a new guitar. If you have the tools & experience just do a typical set-up. If not have a set-up done by a luthier. It'll be the best $50 or so you'll ever spend.

The strings that come on the guitar are quite tarnished. After a few days of playing they'll shine right up. They play fine & sound fine (for a while anyway). You don't need to change them, but for $5 a new set won't kill you.

Good Luck

The guitars plays pretty nicely as is. I've owned several Fender, Gibson and Gretsch guitars over the years, but this is my first Epi and initially I bought it as a decent, but inexpensive guitar to practice with and take on road trips, etc., where I wouldn't necessarily drag my more expensive instruments. HOWEVER, I am surprised at how well constructed and finished the G400 is and it sounds pretty decent as well. I just wanted to know - from you experienced G400 owners - if there were recommended or standard upgrades that others do. If you've replaced the nut, what with? Any pickups you've tried (vintage SG tone)?

Just on a fact finding expedition here.

Thanks for any feedback!

If you've replaced the nut' date=' what with? Any pickups you've tried (vintage SG tone)?

Just on a fact finding expedition here.

Thanks for any feedback![/quote']

I have a Tusq nut on my G400, as well as all my guitars. I think it's a definite improvement over the stock one.

You can get one at Graph Tech, but you can also get one identical to it off ebay for A LOT cheaper. This fits well, with a little sanding required.

And I think the pups are just fine they way they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graph-Tech-Tusq-Nut-PQ-6060-00-for-Epiphone-Slotted-NEW_W0QQitemZ350322955596QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5190e0

Archived