Gibson Brands Forums

Vibrating Noise!!!????

hey guys i took my black hart little giant for a spin and noticed that I could here a slight buzzing noise comming from the head with the amp is cranked up, at first I thought maybe the speaker or tube or somthing, but then i moved the head off of the cab and the noise stopped, so I have basically found that there is somthing lose or rattling around in the head, i took the back off looked around taped on the housing, it made the noise, checked all the foot screws and every screw I could test with out taking the head out of its cab, so before i take her in and have to pay for this little fix, any ideas as to what it might be?

hey guys i took my black hart little giant for a spin and noticed that I could here a slight buzzing noise comming from the head with the amp is cranked up' date=' at first I thought maybe the speaker or tube or somthing, but then i moved the head off of the cab and the noise stopped, so I have basically found that there is somthing lose or rattling around in the head, i took the back off looked around taped on the housing, it made the noise, checked all the foot screws and every screw I could test with out taking the head out of its cab, so before i take her in and have to pay for this little fix, any ideas as to what it might be?[/quote']

It could be a tube filament rattle .... had this problem with my old VJ combo that I bought used - drove me crazy, sounded like something in the amp loose and rattling, especially at certain frequencies on certain strings moreso, and that's what it turned out to be - I believe cgil handed me that advice here many months back..... the filaments on the EL84 vibrating/rattling. Not saying that's your problem, but something to look into....

It could be a tube filament rattle .... had this problem with my old VJ combo that I bought used - drove me crazy' date=' sounded like something in the amp loose and rattling, especially at certain frequencies on certain strings moreso, and that's what it turned out to be - I believe cgil handed me that advice here many months back..... the filaments on the EL84 vibrating/rattling. Not saying that's your problem, but something to look into....

[/quote']

I got the same rattling noise with my Crate V32 Palomino(EL84)....Not evry time but sometimes...got me crazy!!!!

What to do?I don't got that thing with brand new tubes but i can't change the tubes that often!!!!??

HELP!

Maybe interesting that the noise stopped when you moved the head. This may be a useless suggestion, but try moving the amp and cab to another room in the house and then cranking it up to see if the noise is present again. Reason I say that is I once had a problem when I could swear my amp was making a buzz or rattle and finally found out that it was wall or the room itself buzzing at a certain volume and frequency.

thanks guys, but I know its not the tubes, and its not the outlet , when i said i moved the head I ment that the actual vibration of the speaker cab made the head rattle , or that noise came form my head, it does not happen when the head is off of the cab, so theres somthing lose inside there, i guess i might taker her apart and look around

Hey

Look on eBay or the local shop for...what the hell are they called? Tube Retainers maybe. Something like this. Basically a round metal ring that slides over the tubes with 2 springs that will hold the tubes from moving around. This may or may not fix the problem but it is VERY cheap. Like 5 bucks or so.

Archived