Gibson Brands Forums

New Masterbilt Esonic2 issues

Miles77

So I just got the Masterbuilt with the Esonic 2.

Just put in new batterys.. and the tuner doesnt seem to work.. it lights up and just goes to the red light low. Also I plug it in and it buzzes HORRIBLY and seems to have what seems like a bad ground for the Nanoflex or what ever the rear pickup is. I put the blend on the mag pickup and it goes away.

Anyone else have this problem?? I dont want to return the guitar because the neck was the best I felt out of them all. I also dont want to have to send it back to Epiphone or call them..

is there something I am missing?? anyone have any other problems with this pickup system??

I know my fault for not trying the guitar out before buying it .. but the salesmen was a buddy I have bought several guitars off

Whelp new battery yes.

Not new cable. Should the turner work with our with out the cable??

Also I quickly only plugged it into a guitar amp? So will that cause the buzz ?? I will be able to run it through a full PA this coming weekend and I guess I will know then?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a bad preamp, I've had my DR 500ME since Jan. 2009 - ESonic2 system sounds great but I can't leave the batteries in it or they drain. Your tuner work without the cable plugged in.

The electronics are warranted for 1 year by Epiphone, and if you registered with Shadow Electronics separately (they make the ESonic2 system) the electronics are warranted for 5 years by them. I returned the guitar to the dealer, they couldn't find a problem and then I contacted Shadow directly. Like you I loved the instruments sound and playability and didn't want to send it back to Epiphone, shipping fees, hassle, etc. so decided to let their warranty on the electronics expire and take it up with Shadow Electronics at a later date.

They told me all I have to do is contact them for return authorization and send in the preamp and they will send me a replacement. The system is awesome, and sounds great, I just haven't returned the preamp for fear of getting one that will have worse issues, based on the reports here, that began when the new system came out on the '09 models. For now I just pull the batteries when I'm not plugged into an amp or PA.

• 2 months later...

I got a new DR-500MCE a few days ago.

I did notice today that there is a bit of 60 Hz hum from the preamp when I turned up the volume. The cable from the NanoMag looked a bit weird. It had what looked like exposed ground shield? When I touch it the hum goes away. Also if I move the slide all the way to NonoMag it goes away. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-bP55

Should the turner work with our with out the cable??

Yes!

Also I quickly only plugged it into a guitar amp? So will that cause the buzz ??

What ever you define as a buzz: Yes, could be. If you mean with a buzz that chirping sound when you play the strings, that's the Nanoflex.

• 1 month later...
Replace the piezo: You can get on on eBay for about $15.00

What are you referring to here? I cannot find a replacement nanoflex pickup ANYWHERE, and certainly not for $15. If you mean to replace the pickup with a cheap piezo you will be very disappointed in the sound quality (see this forum thread: http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=15519) and it will not work with the onboard esonic preamp.

I bought my Epi Masterbuilt about a year ago new. Loved it for the first six months, then the eSonic2 preamp crapped out. I have sent it in three times for repairs and even tried to get another one installed, but they would not. They kept telling me it was my PA system but I know for a fact it wasn't. I have played four different guitars through it not counting my other band members and had no problems. I sold the guitar for a Takamine and will not buy another unless they put a better preamp setup on them. I loved the guitar and the sound but i will never purchase anything with an eSonic preamp again. Hope you have better luck with yours!

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...