Gibson Brands Forums

Materbilt AJ500M vs Texan IB64

Beatroot

Hello,

Been reading for a while your great reviews on the new Texan IB 64. They brought me into this forum in the first place.

I would like to know how well does it stand the comparation versus the AJ500M. In other words, which would you recommend better? I have no chance to try them. No Epiphone dealer arround in the area I live in.

Taking into account that on the e-store I've been checking their price range is pretty similar.

Texan 279 EUR

AJ500M 330 EUR

Any comments are welcome!

Thanks!

Hello' date='

Been reading for a while your great reviews on the new Texan IB 64. They brought me into this forum in the first place.

I would like to know how well does it stand the comparation versus the AJ500M. In other words, which would you recommend better? I have no chance to try them. No Epiphone dealer arround in the area I live in.

Taking into account that on the e-store I've been checking their price range is pretty similar.

Texan 279 EUR

AJ500M 330 EUR

Thanks!

[/quote']I haven't played the Texan, or any of its various incarnations, but, y'know, it's gonna be hard to beat a Masterbilt, certainly dollar-for-dollar! Does the IB Texan have solid wood back and sides?

I haven't played the Texan' date=' or any of its various incarnations, but, y'know, it's gonna be hard to beat a Masterbilt, certainly dollar-for-dollar! Does the IB Texan have solid wood back and sides?

[/quote']

It has solid top and back. But not the sides as far as I know.

Hello' date='

Texan 279 EUR

AJ500M 330 EUR

Thanks!

[/quote']

Hi Beatroot2.

From what I have heard, the Masterbilt AJ-500M is a wonderful guitar, at an absurdly good price. I have the new IB Texan, and am very pleased with it. I have a feeling that this new Texan is actually based on the AJ-500M, it shares the same body shape, the bridge is pretty much the same, and set back too, just like the AJ-500. I would guess the bracing is the same, although I am not certain, obviously Epiphone have changed the cosmetic details like the body binding and soundhole rosette. Having checked my Texan again yesterday, I am pretty sure the sides on mine are solid Mahogany too, but I cannot be 100% certain (The specs don`t specify solid rims). Obviously a Texan type neck has been added to that body, and the whole guitar is finished in Gloss poly, whereas the AJ-500 is satin poly, but all in all pretty close. So which is better I don`t know, but I have heard that the IB Texan, will not stay at this low price too much longer!

Steve.

The IB'64 Texan has a solid top and back, but the sides are laminated. There are a number of luthiers, repair folks and players who contend laminated sides aren't terribly detrimental to a guitar's sound. Indeed, a solid top and back (as well as other factors) are the important things contributing to a "good" sound, and solid sides are far down the list.

I haven't played the AJ500M so I can't offer you any comparative opinions. I do know that my IB'64 Texan is an excellent guitar. Unplugged, it compares very favorably with my '98 Gibson J-45. I've only played out once with the Texan plugging in, but it was problem-free and musician friends in the audience I trust said it sounded really good.

I thought I would make sure once and for all, whether the IB 64 Texan has laminated sides or not, so I undid the endpin/jack socket, and had a look at the end wood, and it is definitely LAMINATED, three ply, with the filling looking like Maple. Red333 could do this, to see if it is the same for his Elitist Texan too.

Steve.

Hello' date='

Texan 279 EUR

AJ500M 330 EUR

Thanks!

[/quote']

You know, it's eventually going to come down to what YOU want and what YOU want it for! Need we say, play them both yourself and make up your mind what floats your boat best. Then check and see how much money you have and how it's best spent!

Red333 could do this' date=' to see if it is the same for his Elitist Texan too.

Steve.

[/quote']

Steve,

You may not have seen it, but I wrote about the Elitist's sides in one of the OTHER IB Texan threads! I did take the end pin out, and spent some time looking very closely at the grain pattern on the inside and outside of the rims. The pattern is very distinctive on my Elitist, so I can confirm the rims are solid.

Red 333

Steve' date='

You may not have seen it, but I wrote about the Elitist's sides in one of the OTHER IB Texan threads! I did take the end pin out, and spent some time looking very closely at the grain pattern on the inside and outside of the rims. The pattern is very distinctive on my Elitist, so I can confirm the rims are solid.

Red 333[/quote']

No I hadn`t, but I am pleased that your Elitist Texan has solid rims.

Steve.

Archived