Gibson Brands Forums

Good Combo???

guitarjoo

Depends on what you're trying to achieve I guess. I "test drove" the Prophecy SG GX before buying my G-400 (the prophecy has the Dirty Fingers PUs). I think the Dirty Fingers pick-ups sound identical to the pickups in the G-400. So I'm not impressed. (I understand the G-400 pickups are based on the Gibson 490R/498T.)

What you can try is to find as many sound bytes as you can for various pickups. I'm intrigued by the new SD P-Rails, but I'm having a hard time finding sound files. I've been listening to the SD & DiMarzio sounds files & I'm very pleased with the sounds from the SD Pearly Gates Bridge PU. The Pearly Gates seems to have a rather large & satisfied following.

I realize that sound bytes aren't fool-proof, but they are a start.

Good Luck

Depends on what you're trying to achieve I guess. I "test drove" the Prophecy SG GX before buying my G-400 (the prophecy has the Dirty Fingers PUs). I think the Dirty Fingers pick-ups sound identical to the pickups in the G-400. So I'm not impressed. (I understand the G-400 pickups are based on the Gibson 490R/498T.)

What you can try is to find as many sound bytes as you can for various pickups. I'm intrigued by the new SD P-Rails' date=' but I'm having a hard time finding sound files. I've been listening to the SD & DiMarzio sounds files & I'm very pleased with the sounds from the SD Pearly Gates Bridge PU. The Pearly Gates seems to have a rather large & satisfied following.

I realize that sound bytes aren't fool-proof, but they are a start.

Good Luck[/quote']

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/humbuckers_and/

This link has plenty of SD sound samples

I agree when comparing the dirty fingers with the Alnico V of the G-400 there is not much difference in harmonics, although i do find that the dirty fingers has more sustain and doesnt cop out at high distortion or volume. Also the dirty fingers has 4 conductor for a coil tap unlike the stock pups in my g-400. Ive listened to the Pearly Gates though and i am a fan.

I have the dirty fingers pups on one of my prophecy's and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They also are coil tapped. You don't get a true strat sound when tapped but I didn't want a strat sound cause at the time I had a strat. I also agree if you really want to push them they will not get muddy or noisy.

LOL ... maybe so, Rewd! That statement just left my head spinning ...

Hell, I can hear a distinct difference between the Dirty Fingers on my LP Prophecy and the Burstbucker 3/'57 combination on my Gibby!

Maybe you like the Dirty Finger sound, maybe you don't ... but to say there is no difference between them and the stock pups in a G400 means that either you have ears of tin, you are playing through the world's tinyest practice amp, or you have so much distirtion piled on there as to make the actual tone of the guitar a non-issue.

Jim

I found that statement very puzzling myself. I personally think the Dirty Fingers makes an excellent bridge pup . Now the Burstbucker Pro I haven't played recently. Since it is not as hot as Dirty Fingers it probably would make a good neck pup.

My local mom and pop guitar shop where I do all of my business, alot of times only have these small modeling amps to try your guitar out on. They are pretty good for what they are but it's harder to tell the difference between pups on them. So I will only buy a guitar after it 1st feels right. 2nd get close to the tone I want and 3rd most impotantly I take it home for a test drive thru my Marshall. Only then can I tell if the guitar will sound the way I want it to.

Rewd.

Archived