Gibson Brands Forums

OT for champ 600

hey guys, I am new to modding amps, havnt done much at tall, but I dont want to screw up my champ 600 (5watt) , I have a 16 ohm 12in cab that i would like to plug it into , well i already have a few short times, Luckly nothing has gone wrong, I found out that the champ only has a 4 ohm output, so I would like to just replace the out put transformer with one that has 4, 8, and 16 ohm outs, I looked at mercury magnets but they only sell the kit!!!! i just want the OT, so can anyone recomend a place to find one for my champ?! and will runnig it into the 160hm cab really kill it!!!! i dont wana do that, and how hard of a job is it to replace the OT thanks guys!

hey guys' date=' I am new to modding amps, havnt done much at tall, but I dont want to screw up my champ 600 (5watt) , I have a 16 ohm 12in cab that i would like to plug it into , well i already have a few short times, Luckly nothing has gone wrong, I found out that the champ only has a 4 ohm output, so I would like to just replace the out put transformer with one that has 4, 8, and 16 ohm outs, I looked at mercury magnets but they only sell the kit!!!! i just want the OT, so can anyone recomend a place to find one for my champ?! and will runnig it into the 160hm cab really kill it!!!! i dont wana do that, and how hard of a job is it to replace the OT thanks guys![/quote']

Why don't you just parallel the existing 4 ohm with the 16 ohm speaker. The effective

impedance would be 4x16 (64) divided by 4 + 16 (20) = 3.2 ohms.

Most o/p transformers will take about a 10 % mismatch so..10% of 4 ohms (nominal)

is .4 ohms...or about 3.6 ohms that the transformer can accept without serious

damage. You are not going to be pumping out 100watts RMS through a 5 watt Champ

in any case, so any minor impedance mismatch isn't going to fry the o/p transformer.

The 16 ohm won't be quite as loud as the built in 4 ohm because the current in the

o/p signal will split proportionally.

However, if you went say 4 ohm and 4 ohm in parallel (2 ohms), that could cause

the o/p transformer to overheat a bit..but this won't be the case.

He's trying to tell you that the amp will work fine with the simple addition of a parallel speaker jack. The combo speaker will still be working, but your bigger 16ohm cab will fill what your missing from that alone.

If this still isn't good enough, try a Hammond 125CSE or 125DS so you'll have access to dedicated 4, 8, and 16ohm taps. Or, go for the MPS SE OT if you want to save some bucks.

Swapping an OT is probably one of the easiest mods. You can just use simple crimp-type wire connectors and hook the new OT up to the original wiring harness if you're too lazy to solder. Just pay close attention to how the original harness is routed around the chassis, and follow suit with the new wires. This can be important for avoiding those dreaded squealing pig gremlin oscillations.

Gil...

Archived