Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Zephyr Regent - Change pickup to 57 Classic?

BHjazzman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easiest choice in what way? '57's are not in the upper echelon of PAF's. For the money, there's a lot of better PU's, starting with Burstbuckers.

Well then pick or suggest what you want. I don't care what you use. I say the 57 Classic is the easiest because it's so widely used by so many for the 'jazz guitar sound'. Just saves a lot expensive experimentation for someone looking for a quick answer. But there's lots of other pickups that will do the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, the amp and it's settings and the speaker have more to do with the tone than the pickup does. The emphasis on pickup choice is overblown in my opinion. I replaced the stock pickup in my Samick HJ-650 with a '57 Classic. What I heard in the end was the cheap stock Samick pickup was already about 95% of the way there to the sound of '57 Classic. *Some* difference, yes. But not a ton of difference.

Well then pick or suggest what you want. I don't care what you use. I say the 57 Classic is the easiest because it's so widely used by so many for the 'jazz guitar sound'. Just saves a lot expensive experimentation for someone looking for a quick answer. But there's lots of other pickups that will do the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, the amp and it's settings and the speaker have more to do with the tone than the pickup does. The emphasis on pickup choice is overblown in my opinion. I replaced the stock pickup in my Samick HJ-650 with a '57 Classic. What I heard in the end was the cheap stock Samick pickup was already about 95% of the way there to the sound of '57 Classic. *Some* difference, yes. But not a ton of difference.

Have you tried Seth's, Fralins, Burstbuckers (the A2 models, not BBP's), and some of the top level PAF's? They have exceptional rich and clear tones. Since your 'Cheap stock Samick pickups were already 95% of the way there to the sound of '57 Classics', that's all the more reason to try some of the better PAF's (since '57's are up in that price range, or even higher than ome of them). I've had two sets of '57's and sold them both. Just couldn't get the tones I wanted, which are much easier to achieve with other PAF's. I think Gibson puts them in far too many models. They really should use BB's much more often.

OK, well thanks for the recent responses.

I realize the question I posted might lead to the never ending "this vs. that" pickup discussion, however I was only interested in how it applied to the Epi Zephyr Regent VS that I have.

This is a single pickup, deep bodied mahogany guitar and therefore somewhat different in its sound, and probably not as versatile as your HJ 650 and whatever the other responders might be playing.

Anyway, I have the Zephyr back from the luthier now and I'm really pleased with the instrument. Again, I'm not one to mess around experimenting or gold plating any instrument. Other than a pro setup they all get, if it needs something I get it done right, but normally they are what they are.

In the case of this one the body, neck and most of the workmanship was really quite well done. My luthier, a man with great experience, told me that this one had about the best neck he has seen on an import.....true and perfectly set into the body.

The mahogany shell and top are pretty good too. The nut was not cut correctly so we fixed that with a bone version.

The issues as I mentioned in the earlier post were the electronics with the pickup turning out to be culprit in this case.

After we discussed several options we decided on the SD SH-1 N59 pickup as being a good option, and I have to say it is really working out nice on this instrument.

I've got about 14-15 hours playing time on it so far and am getting a feel for it more with each session. I cut two tracks the other day and even after the first 2 or 3 bars there were some wide eyes and smiles around the room.

Nice and mellow with all the chord harmonics in full color when toned back a little. Once turned up some and digging in a little it got a little more 'blue' with some nice 'grit' out of it, and if I pushed it more we could be a little 'dirty' too.

Even with my technique still lacking I was able to get a few nice pinch harmonics and the octaves al la Wes were singing in tune well up the neck.

This is of course all without messing with the amp, eq's, and other external adjustments........just plug and play as they say. And this is no fancy setup either....just a old (re-tubed) Peavey C30 clean with the reverb wide open.

The sound is all I hoped for and more versatile than I expected from a single pickup arch top. I think the mahogany body really comes into it's own when the electronics upgrades allow it to be heard 'full spectrum" as compared to what it was when I first got it.

Did not plan to do much to it at first, but afterwards the result has been beyond what I had expected. No way this one is leaving any time in the future.

Any way, I'm very pleased. The downside is now every flaw in your playing stands out clear too.

Hopefully I can enjoy working all that out next.

YMMV

post-59482-064584900 1381751238_thumb.jpeg

(edited to smaller pic.....sorry guys)

Glad to hear about the happy outcome, Southrun. That SD SH59 is also a good choice as you found out. I have one of those but have never had it in the ZR; it's currently in a Telecaster and I would say that sound-wise, it's right in the family of the '57 Classic and similar pickups.

The ZR is a neat guitar. It looks, plays and sounds like a guitar costing a lot more than it does.

Going back to my previous post in this thread about my experience with replacing the cheap stock Samick pickup in my HJ650, with a '57 Classic and hearing very little difference, here a some clips of a stock Samick HJ-650 to demonstrate my point. Two of them are professional recordings from a dutch professional guitarist; the other one is from a hobby player (it isn't me). The point here is not the Samick guitar, but the lesson I got about assuming that a cheap asian pickup is automatically inferior. What you hear in these clips is exactly what mine sounded like in stock form. I gained essentially nothing by upgrading to the Classic '57.

Hey Vaxxine -

Yes, thanks for the reply's. Your comments on the HJ 650 are not lost on me, and I agree with you about not changing p/u's for the sake of minor (if any) real gains. Actually I was going to get an HJ 650 before I found the Zypher Regent. I think it's still for sale but it would have been over 700 miles RT to go get it. I don't generally buy a guitar unless I can actually play it first......but they are very nice. His is a '95 Blond model and I would put it up against any I have seen lately. The Samick folks do a pretty nice job from what I have experienced, as I also have an '02 Joe Pass Emperor they built and I like it pretty well too. Actually the JP is what led me into looking at the deeper bodied offerings and eventually to the ZR. I know a guy in Gainesville that has an older Washburn J6 WES model that is equally well made.......in fact, they may have been built in the same factory. These days....and back in the 90's - mid 2000's a lot of the better made imported guitars came from Samick and the Peerless folks too, despite what the name on the headstock said.

Very nice sounds on the recordings you posted. I can't immagine those guys playing around with the p/u's looking for something better, but you can't tell some folks that these days and there are plenty of places that make a good living selling that idea when it's not always justified.

I could not be happier with the SD SH-1 59 I put in the ZR but that was only because the original p/u was defective, and I continue to be pleased with the stock p/u's in my JP Emperor too. My luthier had a nice little tip though....you can improve the sound from the stock p/u's some by changing out the mounting springs.......if you look at the ones SD supplied side by side with the stock EPI offerings you'll see just how much more there is to the replacements. I might give that a try one day on the JP Emperor when I next restring and clean it.

However, now that you brought up the subject.......I can just hear my Tele (a G&L ASAT) back in the corner saying "hey, what about me?........you have not touched me in months..... don't I get some love here too?........." [confused]

( this is one reason I keep my guitars in their cases.......aside from the Florida temperature and humidity, the curious house cats, and various grandkids visiting........Guitar Jealousy! )

Tele - "Is there someone else?

ME - Well, yes there are others in my life......

Tele - Is she prettier than me?

ME - No baby.....you are both beautiful in your own ways.......

Tele - Well then, what does she have that I don't?

Me - cough, cough.....well, she is fuller bodied, you know, more curves, and a deeper voice......

Tele - Show ME her picture.......I want to she what she looks like!

Me - No you don't......

Tele - After all these years, don't give me that crap! I want to see her NOW!

Me - Well, OK......but she's just a friend.....

( reluctantly opens both cases..........)

Tele - [cursing]

OK, sorry.....I gotta go........this will take some time to smooth over

• 5 years later...

Hi guys

I speak to you from the other side of the Atlantic, from Paris.

I read the topic and I just found a used Zephyr Regent for a good price. I am a music teacher and I play jazz in my free time.

I found in the topic, everything I like in this guitar and that's why I bought it.

I like the old school guitar sound, that warm, dark sound you've all described.

I think I'll change the pickup for a PAF 57 or maybe an Hep Cat SD (P90).

Mine is a 2007 model made in Korea, Unsung Factory.

You all have older models and another factory, but I found in your article the same thing that I like in my guitar.

This guitar has a typical jazz sound and I like it.

I have it for a week.Here in France is a rare guitar.But now I have one. Mine here in this picture. I'll give him his pickguard, change the pickup and electronics.

I am happy to share with you the same passion for my ZR.

Hello from Paris.

7zmm.jpg

Welcome. I love hollow body Epiphones, that's a mighty nice looking one you have there. I wouldn't rush into the pickup swap, play it a bit first. The P-90 idea is intriguing, though. I had a Zephyr Blues Deluxe with 3 of them on it and the neck position is great for Jazz, with the right P-90.

zbd%201_zpss82z03mu.jpg

• 4 months later...

I recently purchased a Zephyr Regent reissue made at the Peerless factory in 2003. I've had it set up and it plays well. However, I've noticed that the tone pot has some crackles when turned and thought it might be feasible instead of replacing the one pot to replace the wiring harness, both pots, and perhaps the pickup as well. I called Gibson and was told the tone pot is audio and the volume pot is linear. My questions: Has anyone replaced the linear volume pot with and audio one?How would one connect the ground to the tailpiece. Would there be much difference in tonal quality replacing the pickup with a Gibson 57 classic. The stock pickup is marked (57CH(G) Dot Neck, Bridge LP Neck with an F imprinted on base plate)and I am not sure of the voltage output or magnet. Would Gibson 57 classic specs be close to those the stock pickup?

I'd have to say a Gibson USA classic 57 will probably be a much better sounding compared to the stock Korean pickup. Gibson Classic 57s are very good pickups.

I could be misleading cuz I'm no expert of all things "pot" wise but, I would go with audio taper verses linear, IME audio taper pots work better for volume controls, they are not as abrupt. A linear pot will drop off pretty fast and I can tell ya I don't appreciate that. I like a gradual decrease, and I still want "Something" when I'm dialed back to 2 or 3. I think you will find you have more room for adjusting with audio taper.

Getting at the components and replacing them in an archtop is not for the week of heart. I wouldn't do it on a bet. Hence I can't help with your wiring questions.

Good luck!

Archived