Gibson Brands Forums

New guy here + problem with my dot

Chris182

Hi there everyone! i'm new here

first i just want to mention that i'm french-canadian so my english may not be perfect

i have in my possession a 2007 Dot that i love but suddenly two days ago, whenever i would plug in my cable into the input jack, the only thing i would get is that big ''humming'' sound like a ground coming out of my amp. im sure its not the amp because i have tried it on other amp with different cable and it woulnd't change anything.

i got absolutely no response from the guitar and i was wondering if you could help me find out what's wrong and should i go to a luthier and how much would that cost.

Since i got my dot i have been browsing this forum regurlarly and i know that there is a bunch of expert that could help me!

Thanks ALOT

Chris

More than likely it's a loose or broken output jack on the guitar. Not the easiest first-time repair (on a semi-hollow) but it has been done. I'd expect a tech would charge you around $30 including parts, but a good-quality Switchcraft jack is only about $6.

Kind of depends on your handiness with a soldering iron and willingness to dive in....

Hi Chris, and welcome. French-Canadian on my father's side, and your English is spot on!

First, try a different guitar cord. If that's not it, take the jack out of the guitar and make sure that the wires are properly soldered on. For the heck of it, try cleaning the amp pots to make sure it's not something there.

If none of these resolve your issue, post back and others will help.

Sheila

PS - He beat me to it!

Wow that was fast thanks brian and sheila!

i will take both of your advices, my father is more skilled with a soldering iron so maybe i'll give him a little job and if it doesn't work i'll take it to the tech if it isn't costing that much!

Thanks i really appreciate it because for now i'm stuck with an acoustic and an old SQUIER AFFINITY STRAT#-o so i can't wait to play my dot again. i'l keep you updated

Chris

p.s. So you're half french-canadian Sheila? how cool is that!!

Wow that was fast thanks brian and sheila!

i will take both of your advices' date=' my father is more skilled with a soldering iron so maybe i'll give him a little job and if it doesn't work i'll take it to the tech if it isn't costing that much!

Thanks i really appreciate it because for now i'm stuck with an acoustic and an old SQUIER AFFINITY STRAT#-o so i can't wait to play my dot again. i'l keep you updated

Chris

p.s. [b']So you're half french-canadian Sheila? how cool is that!![/b]

Very cool!!

Brian is right, though. A semi-hollow body is more difficult to work on than a soid body. Forgot about that part, as I was thinking of my Studio. But having said that, you and dad should just take it slow and you should be okay it doing the work yourselves. looking forward to hearing how it went.

Sheila

Update. Ok, we pulled out the input jack throught the f-hole and noticed the obvious: the ground wire is completely missing! the problem is, we don't know where it is! i have heard it might be attached to the pole of the tail piece but im not sure. can you give me guidance to find that wire like, where to look for? it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks alot

here's a picture

guitl.jpg

Chris, the pic link is no good, but the ground wire should be hanging off of the tone controls.

It's in there, but you may need a small mirror, flashlight and a coathanger to find it and pull it out - without pulling off any of the other wires...

Update!! we finally solved the problem and i feel like a noob#-o BOTH of the wire are in the grey casing! anyway i,ll be soldering that up and update you on if the guitar work or not

thank you ALL for the the precious advice

All's well that end well! just a bit of soldering iron and everything is working fine! it was difficult for a first time but i will know how to deal with that for future repair.

thank you all for your precious advice, i have probably saved a couple of bucks!

Chris

Archived