Gibson Brands Forums

LP Prophecy Question

Melkor

Hello all, new to the forum. YAY!

So I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the Epiphone LP Prophecy. Played it and loved the neck and EMGs. Perfect for me in pretty much every way... except ONE.

Now, I've been playing for 20 years but I've just never been much for the tech side of things. Never replaced pickups or did any wiring. This has pretty much remained true for most art forms I dabble in. I don't get TOO into the tech side of things and if I have to, it rarely ends well.

But here's my question. I like having just two knobs, but I would greatly prefer to have two VOLUME knobs. I don't really ever do anything with tone, and I DO use the switch in a couple of songs to go from a hot pickup to a quiet one for effect (Like what Randy Rhodes and Zakk Wylde to at the beginning of Crazy Train). So is it feasible to change the knob from tone to volume for the neck pickup? Or should I look elsewhere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated #-o

Thanks.

I share the same thoughts (I own the LP EX,) fantastic guitar, but 2 volumes are infinitely more useful to me than 1/1. If you're not a mod-friendly person, I'd recommend taking it to a pro, it's a fairly complex job, as far as guitar wiring goes, however it is a pretty short job. Hell, it probably even sounds better after taking the tone pot/cap out of the loop.

I do recommend going for it, it's a truly impressive guitar in terms of sound and feel and quality.

@Paruwi & Wrighty; the GX does indeed have Dirty Fingers, and no, there is no reason to change them. However, the OP was asking if it is feasible to rewire a Prophecy EX to have 2 volume pots instead of vol/tone, which as far as I can make sense of it, has little to do with the pickups in the GX model. [blink]

I recently had to replace the push pull volume pot in my SG Prophecy GX so I'm familiar with the wiring. It would be possible to rewire it but if it is like the GX they use a linear pot for volume and an audio pot for tone. So unless you replace one of the pots the characteristics of the 2 volume controls would be significantly different. I personally would replace the push pull volume pot with an audio taper pot and reuse the tone pot as the second volume since it is already audio taper. I've been considering replacing the tone pot with a concentric pot so I could have a second volume and still have a tone control but I haven't done it yet. The concentric pots that I've found are solid shaft so finding matching knobs might be difficult.

hello all. I am a new member here. I intend to buy Epiphone Les Paul Custom Prophecy EX. I want to ask, Epiphone like this made in where? whether these are made in china or korea? how the sound quality? whether there is an Epiphone guitar made in usa? Please help me. Thank you.

[thumbup]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Prophecy-Les-Paul-Custom-EX.aspx

hello all. I am a new member here. I intend to buy Epiphone Les Paul Custom Prophecy EX. I want to ask' date=' Epiphone like this made in where? whether these are made in china or korea? how the sound quality? whether there is an Epiphone guitar made in usa? Please help me. Thank you.

[thumbup

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Prophecy-Les-Paul-Custom-EX.aspx

Hi Ryan and Welcome.

Right now I believe the only current production USA made Epiphone is the Historic Custom USA Wilshire 1962 Reissue. There are no USA made LP style guitars.

All the LPs are made in Asia, China, Korea, Indonesia. I'm not sure if the Prophecies are made in only one place, maybe those with them will be able to answer that, along with the questions you have about sound quality.

Sheila

I recently had to replace the push pull volume pot in my SG Prophecy GX so I'm familiar with the wiring. It would be possible to rewire it but if it is like the GX they use a linear pot for volume and an audio pot for tone. So unless you replace one of the pots the characteristics of the 2 volume controls would be significantly different. I personally would replace the push pull volume pot with an audio taper pot and reuse the tone pot as the second volume since it is already audio taper. I've been considering replacing the tone pot with a concentric pot so I could have a second volume and still have a tone control but I haven't done it yet. The concentric pots that I've found are solid shaft so finding matching knobs might be difficult.

They're actually quite a bit different. EMGs use 25k audio taper pots for both volume and tone' date=' so there's no issue there. The issue comes with the fact you would probably need to run new wire to get a volume pot on each pickup.

Like I said before, if you know your way around a control cavity, it's not a super difficult job, but if you're a fairly un-handy person, it's pretty easy to cook an EMG with bad wiring. [thumbup

Thanks for all of the replies. These have been very helpful.

Sjael: You hit the nail fright on the head for me. I'll most likely seek a pro for this. But as long as it's feasible, then I'm ok with the purchase. Since I don't have any live gigs coming up soon, it's something I can work on over the next few months.

Thanks again everyone. VERY helpful!!!

hello all. I am a new member here. I intend to buy Epiphone Les Paul Custom Prophecy EX. I want to ask' date=' Epiphone like this made in where? whether these are made in china or korea? how the sound quality? whether there is an Epiphone guitar made in usa? Please help me. Thank you.

[confused

Ryan, as far as I know all the Prophecy lines are made in China. I have the SG EX and that guitar screams metal if you like EMG's. The necks are out of this world slim speed tapered w/ satin finish I think you will like! It's been a reliable guitar for about 5 mo.s now.

Rewd.

The necks are out of this world slim speed tapered w/ satin finish I think you will like!

Rewd.

This was the first thing I fell in love with. That neck was slick. Exactly what I was looking for. I picked up a Gibson LP Standard afterward and absolutely HATED the neck.

Since no one anywhere near me carries the Zakk Wylde Sigs, I wonder if the necks are similar or if they use a thicker neck?

Hmmmm... Well my local music store just sold the Prophecy as I walked in to buy it... funny because this is the second time this has happened to me when getting ready to purchase a guitar. Plus they're being really stuffy about ordering another one because their deal with Epiphone is about to be renegotiated (or something... I really wasn't quite clear).

So that means a 3 hour drive to Spokane if they even have it. Some times things just don't quite work out right.

Archived