Gibson Brands Forums

some difference :)

alanssaab

i got my wiring kit in yesterday for the lp , fitting went without a hitch , plugged it and and WOW :) pots that work when you turn them , the sound cleans up when you turn the volume down , the tone now sounds excellent and the muddyness has gone from the neck pup [crying] i'm a happy chappy [crying]

Nice one. I swapped out the stock pups from my Sheraton because of muddiness in the neck and screechiness in the bridge. I wonder whether just changing the wiring would have been enough- a couple of other people here have said that- glad you got a result.

Nice one. I swapped out the stock pups from my Sheraton because of muddiness in the neck and screechiness in the bridge. I wonder whether just changing the wiring would have been enough- a couple of other people here have said that- glad you got a result.

Vomer I done the same on my JP went full hog and changed out the pickups as well...it might be a longer more convoluted method in the end but it does in hindsight, seem a cleverer option to just change the harness first, give it a couple of weeks to really test out the stock pickups and then if still not totally satisfied then change the pickups.

But there is also something else that really shocked me recently.

Check this out

My 1989 Sheraton (I have just sold)

My 2002 Samick SG

Both have stock pickups

I have two amps

Peavey Valveking 112 on this amp the SG sounds great but the Sheraton sounds not so good

and a

Epiphone Pacemaker on this amp the Sheraton sounds great but the SG sounds not so good

now I really need someone to explain to me whta is going on there is it because one is a solid body and the other a semi, the different wattage's of the amps because the difference really shocked me.....

Sheraton sounds great on the Pacemaker but the SG sounds great on the Peavey....??????

So also consider what amp you are using before condemning the pickups to the "muddy" banished pile.......

Wow joe you just figuring this out?

Thats why we always ask what amp they are using when someone complains about their pups, and also why we say don't bother if they are using a Line6 or something else cruddy sounding.

My Champ hates my Ibanez, loves my Sherry and tele, hates the LPs and SGs, loves the T3... go figure.

My Marshall AVT150 loves everything

My Ampeg VT-40 hates everything, but sounds so good doing it. ( If you've ever played one of these you know what I am referring to. It is the most musical and unforgiving amp ever made. I got it in trade from a lesser guitarist who just couldn't make it sound good. When he came over with the amp and heard me play through it, he almost didn't trade cause it sounded so good, he played it with my guitar and guess what, CRAP. You get out what you put in from that amp, the tone really is in the fingers there.)

My Peavey XXX likes clean Fenders, and distorted Gibsons, but not vice versa.

My Sunn Colosseum likes anything you put through it, it all sounds the same, tele, mongrel, Ibby, Gibson, it just sounds LOUD!

Wow joe you just figuring this out?

YEP....[biggrin] Up to a few weeks ago my Peavey was the only amp I had ever used.....then I bought the Pacemaker and could A/B for the first time....just a few weeks ago......so YEP I have just figured it out I am learning new stuff every day....[biggrin]

It's great.....[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

My Sunn Colosseum likes anything you put through it' date=' it all sounds the same, tele, mongrel, Ibby, Gibson, it just sounds LOUD![/quote']

I FREAKIN' LOVE SUNN AMPS!!!! I was looking for either a Sunn or a Carvin X100B, and I ended up finding an X100B for a really good price, so that's what I got. That Carvin is an amazing amp. It loves everything.

thanks vomer , i'm well chuffed [biggrin] with the jcm 800 i had to turn the bass down to try and compensate for the muddyness , no need now. it sounds sweet [biggrin] and when i roll off the tone you notice it and the same with the volume , roll it off and it cleans up [biggrin] the sg is still growling away when the volume is rolled to 3 [biggrin] so it's getting done next [biggrin]

Archived